You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pattern repeat for Textile designers

I really need to see the pattern making tool as on adobe illustrator. 
There it is simply, Object, pattern, make.   This allows you to see the whole pattern. A further drop down shows the horizontal and vertical repeats and allows you do set 1/2 blocks and different repeats.  This would be Extremely helpful if  / when you added this. Along with image trace.....

I have been using All the serif programmes for 25+ years and find them so intuitive.

Please add the pattern repeat soon !!

Thanks. 

That is exactly why I'm thinking of moving from Gravit Designer to buy Affinity Designer. I'm still on the trial period and I am watching tutorials to find out if I can successfully use Affinity Designer to design all types and styles of repeat patterns. 

I have heard of the pattern tool in AI and have seen this requested for a while now but it appears it has been ignored. I'm new to AD and it appears suggestions, requests are ignored by Affinity Designer- not encouraging! However I do hope they add this pattern tool.

I'll compare tutorials of both and decide if I'll bother buying AD especially if they aren't responding to requests or suggestions!

On 11/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, pyxelles said:

I'm new to AD and it appears suggestions, requests are ignored by Affinity Designer- not encouraging! However I do hope they add this pattern tool.

Hello @pyxelles,

welcome to the forum.

Since you are new here at the forum I want to tell you from my expirience of reading and posting here for some time. The company does read the requests and I have seen many cases that proof that they do listen and they do not ignore requests. E.g. TGA format was introduced some time ago and with the latest beta version of Publisher the introduced an asked for feature called 'Collect Resources'.

It will also be very easy for you to find threads about features that were requested for a long time. This cannot be denied. But this is not due to the fact that Serif does not listen to their users.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Yes - I need to see pattern repeat feature before I can buy this software.  It seems to be intuitive and a bit less complicated to use for my needs.  Please let me know when Pattern Repeat feature is available.  In the meantime, I will consider using the trial version.  Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Symbols in Designer to make patterns. Set up a template once and for all, and that makes it fairly straight forward working with repeating patterns. Unless I simply misunderstand your request.

There are excellent Youtube tutorials about setting up a pattern template using Symbols.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:28 PM, 2989 said:

Same Here. Need the Pattern Repeat Feature desperately!

To anyone who posted in this thread you might be interested to watch (or read) this elaborate tutorial on creating patterns in AD:

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/create-repeat-patterns-with-a-live-pattern-preview-in-affinity-designer-for-ipad/

It was just recently published over at Affinity Spotlight and is really worth checking out :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, dominik said:

To anyone who posted in this thread you might be interested to watch (or read) this elaborate tutorial on creating patterns in AD:

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/create-repeat-patterns-with-a-live-pattern-preview-in-affinity-designer-for-ipad/

It was just recently published over at Affinity Spotlight and is really worth checking out :)

d.

That tutorial is for Affinity Designer on the iPad. I've learnt to use symbols but it's still different from AI's pattern tool!

7 hours ago, pyxelles said:

That tutorial is for Affinity Designer on the iPad. I've learnt to use symbols but it's still different from AI's pattern tool!

Within the Affinity range it doesn't matter too much if you are working on an iPad, Mac or Windows. The UI looks a little different but the technique is the same.

You have two choices: adapt to this technique now and get your things done or wait until a tool comes at some time in the future. Of course it is a valid request to ask for and to discuss about such a feature. It just does not add much to the status quo.

Cheers,
d.

4 hours ago, dominik said:

You have two choices: adapt to this technique now and get your things done or wait until a tool comes at some time in the future. Of course it is a valid request to ask for and to discuss about such a feature. It just does not add much to the status quo.

I agree there is a workaround-though symbols are a tedious workaround. If I just need to show the repeated pattern duplicating the symbol approach works (and can be saved as a template to save some time)

Where Symbols and the status quo falls short for me is when I have to apply that symbol pattern to an object.  Say I’ve made a pattern for a textile design. I can show a rectilinear sample of the repeated pattern, but It is harder and more steps to show it on a t-shirt/dress/etc.  currently I make to make mask of the t-short vector object after I set up the symbols in a sep layer.  With the patter making tool  (like in Illustrator), I can take that symbol (pattern swatch) and just apply it as a fill to the object. This saves so much time.   ( I also use this function a lot when I set up halftone layers for use in screen printing)

Symbols are close but not quite there yet for pattern fills.  So I am def a +1 to this request. 

15 minutes ago, mackleys said:

Where Symbols and the status quo falls short for me is when I have to apply that symbol pattern to an object.

There are other tutorials that export the the pattern as an image file and then apply this as an image fill. If you are interested I can look that up.

Of course this is not as flexible and speedy as a full flegded pattern fill tool (or whatever it may be called). But it's not bad, either.

There's also a neat tutorial on how to apply such a pattern to a real photo and the result looks pretty good:

Cheers,
d.

Thanks for sharing that video tutorial. Unfortunately that is not quite right for what I need (it starts with a pre-made pattern jpeg); but I appreciate your sharing.  AD is so close that it make that last 10% missing feels more acute.  I have work arounds  (with symbols) But they are just slower for the time being. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I think Affinity Photo & Designer are both great but as a surface pattern designer what l'm really missing here is textile pattern making tool as it is in AI. Adding this tool you definitely get more customers.

• 1 year later...

Seconding this! Also a textile and fashion designer. 

I work heavily in making pattern repeats for yardages and yarndyes. Meaning i also need to make repeats within repeats (within repeats ;) ), for example, diagonal twill line repeats within plaids with a repeating heather.  

Just tried out the trial to see how far i got and got really close with all thats required to do so like smart guides,snap to grid, pixel design but hitting a dead end with the swatch tile repeats. 

Am i overlooking the way to do this, is there a (easy) way to do this? Am looking forward to get into Affinity but this will be one of the big needs!

Thanks!