You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like the BMP export feature also. As it is I now have to use Pixelmator to do this whereas I had hoped BMP which is a standard format, would have been available in Affinity. I left PS for Pixelmator and then Pixelmator to Affinity. Whilst there is no BMP export option, I'll have to stick with Pixelmator to do those conversions (which is a shame).

I need BMP because I have some hardware that uses BMP images in the icons.

MacOS Ventura
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
Built-In Retina LCD  5120 x 2880
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB

I am stuck on this as well, having to resort to other tools to generate the BMP. Many things still require files in BMP format which cannot be avoided.

It would be nice if the moderators would provide some feedback to our comments. After all this is a "Feature Request" area and the initial request is more than a year ago/

George

MacOS Ventura
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB

I'm afraid exporting to .bmp isn't a priority for us. Just out of interest, which apps require .bmp and don't support any other formats?

Inno setup, is one of them they can only take BMP (since that is the native Picture format on Windows). I am software developer and use the Affinity Photo to make the Inno setup page screens. (among other things). (Though PNG is getting to be the standard in most development but not all)

Thanks Dave & Fixx.

Fixx by name!! You fixed it for me with the OS X Preview tip. I wonder how many other goodies are hidden in OX X???

My application is RC transmitter and uses BMP images for display on the Tx screen. They will progress to PNG in future OS mods.

Thanks for your help.

George

MacOS Ventura
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, photogeek said:

I would like BMP output because as of now the only way to tile a pattern is if it is in .bmp. So if I create a pattern in Affinity Photo to use in Affinity Photo as a pattern, I have to use a different program to convert the file.

I think there’s been a misunderstanding about the terminology here. You can tile any bitmap (i.e. raster) pattern; it doesn’t need to be in bitmap image file (*.bmp) format.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

I think there’s been a misunderstanding about the terminology here. You can tile any bitmap (i.e. raster) pattern; it doesn’t need to be in bitmap image file (*.bmp) format.

I would think people need .bmp because target application. While you can tile any pixel file, some applications for example in game design need .bmp.

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Sorry about this, I figured this out later in the day and didn't have time to get back on and retract my statement. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like the option to export .bmp!! I use AP to develop automation graphics for industrial process control systems and several of the industrial displays (e.g. automation direct) will only accept bmp as a file source. I get by converting with paintbrush, but would love to eliminate the extra step.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Add me to the list as well. I’m also supplying graphics for industrial control systems that only accept *.bmp files.

You can:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

@cnisidis

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

1 hour ago, cnisidis said:

+1 to the wishlist.
BMPs are useful for creating icons for apps and splash screens for a bunch of platforms and almost every game engine.

What modern game engines do not support 8 bit PNG say? Also as has been said many times, there are plenty of free tools that will convert to the (very old) poorly compressed BMP format if your app ONLY takes it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

What modern game engines do not support 8 bit PNG say? Also as has been said many times, there are plenty of free tools that will convert to the (very old) poorly compressed BMP format if your app ONLY takes it.

The Gamebuino library requires bitmaps for example, if you don't transcode them into source code yourself, see https://gamebuino.com/fr/academy/tutorials/images

It needs BMP if they're being read from SD card directly by the Arduino which has very limited processing power. That's why it needs as little compression as possible and trades off processing power for it.

Edit: Oh and it's also very recent, in fact the Gamebuino Meta for which this is especially relevant came out in February.

It would be amazing if I could just use continuous BMP export of my game / app assets directly from Affinity Designer without needing to take extra steps of encoding and having to remember to do it every time for every asset I have changed.

Edited by lastfuture
clarification