You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Similar tool to “define pattern” on Photoshop

Hi there, 

I’m a surface pattern designer and after 10 years of using photoshop CS4 on my old mac, it finally gave up on me last week so I decided to upgrade and switch to Affinity and learning the ropes. 

I am having problems locating a tool similar to the “Define Pattern...” tool on Photoshop. The tool is where you create a tile and save that tile in with the preset patterns (brick designs etc) and then in a new document you fill the bigger document with the pattern seamlessly without issue.

So far I’ve only found tutorials that suggest copy, pasting and placing and I’m thinking there must be a better solution as I’ve just tried that (even with snapping) and I’m getting white lines in between. And when you have 10cm2 tiles and you need them across 2 metre file it ends up eating into your time. I have both Designer, Photo & Publisher so whatever version gets the job done I’m all for it! 

Cheers in advance! 

• Staff

Hi hoodlumfang,

Welcome to the forums :)

You can use the Gradient Tool to apply a bitmap as a fill to an object, then use the Context Toolbar option to set the Extend: to Wrap and use this to create repeating patterns. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi

On 10/25/2019 at 3:37 PM, Dan C said:

You can use the Gradient Tool to apply a bitmap as a fill to an object, then use the Context Toolbar option to set the Extend: to Wrap and use this to create repeating patterns. I hope this helps!

I tried this and the gradient tool did not work. AD also has a 'repeat' extend and that doesn't create a repeating pattern. It creates a squared selection, but the selection is not repeating, it's just random.

• Staff

Hi @NFIddi,

Welcome to the forums :)

13 hours ago, NFIddi said:

I tried this and the gradient tool did not work.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, can you please provide a screen recording, or further explanation to the issue you're having here?

What object type were you trying to use the Gradient tool on?

13 hours ago, NFIddi said:

AD also has a 'repeat' extend and that doesn't create a repeating pattern. It creates a squared selection, but the selection is not repeating, it's just random

This isn't the behaviour I'm seeing here, and I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to a squared selection when it comes to Fill options. The 'Repeat' option will detect the pixels on the outer edge of the image being used to fill and it will repeat those same pixels for as far as is visible.

The more information you can provide here, the easier it will be for us to support you. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know @Fixx - if you can provide a copy of this EPS document I can look into this further for you if you wish?
Please do let me know if you'd like a private upload link :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting me know @Fixx - if you can provide a copy of this EPS document I can look into this further for you if you wish?
Please do let me know if you'd like a private upload link :)

Sorry, I could not repeat the problem. Now it seems to work so it was one time glitch.