You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to delete a photograph in Affinity Photo.

Greetings Lee D,

Thanks so much for responding.  I have Windows 10 and (unfortunately) it came with Windows Photo Editor 10.  I opened up a file in Affinity Photo, did some editing and somehow it got

messed up.  I wanted to delete the image out of Affinity Photo and open up a copy of the same image from Photo Editor 10.  Also, if I may, for some reason, I am now unable to rotate an

edited image from Affinity Photo and into Photo Editor 10.  It does work, however only inconsistently.

Thnx again,

Tonytee

• Staff

The ideal workflow will be to open the image directly in Affinity Photo using File > Open. If you used File > Save, this may of overwritten the existing file. If you received a prompt to Save Flattened this would also overwrite the file.

If this is the case you may not be able to revert back to the original unedited image.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Affinity Photo cannot delete a file.

True.

However, at least on Windows, you can use File > Open which opens a File Explorer dialog, and in that dialog you can select a file and then tell Windows to delete the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Tonytee said:

Greetings Lee D,

Thanks so much for responding.  I have Windows 10 and (unfortunately) it came with Windows Photo Editor 10.  I opened up a file in Affinity Photo, did some editing and somehow it got

messed up.  I wanted to delete the image out of Affinity Photo and open up a copy of the same image from Photo Editor 10.  Also, if I may, for some reason, I am now unable to rotate an

edited image from Affinity Photo and into Photo Editor 10.  It does work, however only inconsistently.

Thnx again,

Tonytee

If you delete it from your HD, if will not be available in Windows Photo Editor.  Do you have two copies, one jpeg and one Affinity Photo extension?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

A Photo Editing Software Program that does not have the capability of deleting a photograph.  That is unbelievable.  Of all the high praises written about Affinity Photo, it never mentioned

that fact.  Of all the Photo Editing Programs I have worked with, this is the only one that will not allow the deletion of an image.  Well, we all make mistakes.  When I first opened the file,

I clicked on New, not Open and went from there.  What about my not being able to rotate an edited Affinity Photo file back into Photo Editor 10?  Photo Editor 10 is the only program I am

able to upload from to the many photography sites that I subscribe to.  

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Tony

10 hours ago, Tonytee said:

A Photo Editing Software Program that does not have the capability of deleting a photograph.  That is unbelievable.  Of all the high praises written about Affinity Photo, it never mentioned

that fact.  Of all the Photo Editing Programs I have worked with, this is the only one that will not allow the deletion of an image.  Well, we all make mistakes. 

None of my image editing programs allow deleting photographs (like Photoshop, ever heard?). Only DAM type editing apps do (like Lightroom). Deleting files is operating system task, not a task for editing app.

Keep making mistakes, eventually you learn.

23 hours ago, Tonytee said:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am unable to locate a way to delete a photograph in Affinity Photo.  

Many thanks,

Anthony J Tarquinio

Hi,

If you just want to delete a photo in the layers, right click> Delete on the layer with the photo or hit the Backspace button.

14 hours ago, Tonytee said:

I clicked on New, not Open and went from there.

Then unless you exported the file to the same format as the original (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.) and exported it to the same folder as the original (in which case you would get a warning about overwriting the original), the original file, wherever it is located, is untouched. If you never saved the file after working on it in AF & just closed it (in which case you would get a warning about unsaved changes) there is nothing to delete.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am wondering exactly what it is that @Tonytee wants to do? From the context of the messages, it could be that he simply wants to remove the modified image from within Photo (as opposed to removing the image file from the hard disk).

To remove the image from within Photo, simply click on the close icon (the cross) on the image's tab at the right-hand edge. You may be asked if you want to save it first. If you really want to abandon the image, just say no. In this case, the original image on disk will not be affected.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 hours ago, Fixx said:

None of my image editing programs allow deleting photographs (like Photoshop, ever heard?). Only DAM type editing apps do (like Lightroom). Deleting files is operating system task, not a task for editing app.

Keep making mistakes, eventually you learn.

I also have FastStonesimageviewer and Windows Photo Editor 10, both of which allow for the deletion of a photograph.  Perhaps it will be worth the while to work on the problem.  It may be time well spent for you, instead of making smart ass remarks.  Thanks very much for screwing another customer.  Unfortunately, I will not be the last.  Cheers mate.

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I am wondering exactly what it is that @Tonytee wants to do? From the context of the messages, it could be that he simply wants to remove the modified image from within Photo (as opposed to removing the image file from the hard disk).

To remove the image from within Photo, simply click on the close icon (the cross) on the image's tab at the right-hand edge. You may be asked if you want to save it first. If you really want to abandon the image, just say no. In this case, the original image on disk will not be affected.

John

Thank you Mr. Rostron, finally an intelligent and useful response.  In FastStonesimageviewer, I can right click on the image and brings up a menu.  The second to the last item is Delete in red letters.  When I click on that, the image is immediately out of FastStonesimageviewer and goes straight to the Recycle Bin.  The same with Windows Photo Editor 10.  Your assistance is

greatly appreciated.  Tony