You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to PDF error with hyperlinks

Hey folks,

I've got a Publisher document with several anchors (14 in a glossary style table, all on page 8) and a bunch of hyperlinks throughout, pointing to them. When I export to PDF, I get a generic error towards the end of the export process, as in the attached screenshot.

However, if I uncheck the "include hyperlinks" option in the PDF export, it comes out just fine, so it's definitely hyperlink related.

I ran into the same issues during Publisher's beta, and at the time I simply changed my hyperlinks from anchors to page numbers and it worked fine, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that anymore. I'm on the latest version (1.7.3) on macOS Mojave (10.14.6).

Does someone have any idea how I could try to debug this issue? I can upload my file somewhere if needed.

Frank.

Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 13.18.45.png

• Staff

Thank you for the file I have tested on my Publisher and when I  use the PDF preset (for web) the document exports correctly with working hyperlinks, can you please try this setting on your version of Publisher and let me know if you are still getting the error message.

I believe I have zero'ed in on the problem further, thanks to this post also, and some experimentation.

I do my layout in spreads (Document Setup > Facing pages). When I export with hyperlinks, and change to "All Pages" in the export dialog, it throws an error.

However, if I switch the layout to single page (i.e. uncheck Facing pages in Document Setup) and then export (at which point, it defaults to "All pages" anyway), it works fine!

So there seems to be a bug when exporting hyperlinks with anchors when the document setup facing pages doesn't match the "Area" in the export to PDF dialog.

I will try tonight if switching before exporting also lets me export on my big, finished file. If so, this may be a good workaround until the bug is fixed.

I can now confirm that it's the same with my 72 page finished book. The document setup was for facing pages, and the moment I try to export as single pages with hyperlinks, the anchor links cause the export to error. If I export as spreads, it works.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as switching the document setup before export, as that removes all the masters from the right hand pages. :(

Edited by Frank Reding
Typo