You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wish to export some styles from Affinity Photo or Designer to transfer them elsewhere.

When I select a styles category and select "export styles category", nothing seems to happen. If it is exported I do not know where.

I am using Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10 pro 64 bit

Also

Styles that I have imported into the PC will not import from iCloud into the iPad (Ipad Pro). 

Advice plse

• Staff

Hi GrahamMYC :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. When you select 'Export Styles Category' you should see a Windows Explorer window open, allowing you to decide where to save the .afstyles file, and to name it if you wish. Is this dialog not appearing for you? If not, please try restarting your PC and exporting your styles once more.

In regards to your iPad, please open the Files app and move/copy the .afstyles file from the iCloud to your local iPad storage and try importing these again - does this allow you to import the file?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I have done as you suggest (including doing a disk cleanup, and a Norton file cleanup). I do not get a windows dialog when I select "Export Styles Category' 

Regarding the ipad, it worked well once I had discovered the location of the styles tab! My ignorance is now marginally less than it was!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that and I'm sorry to hear it. Could you please select the 'Export Styles Category' option, then hold down the Windows Key and press either the Left or Right arrow key - does this bring the dialog into view?

I'm glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know - resetting your app back to default settings should hopefully fix this.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.  https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Dan C

As this is a new machine resetting presented no problems. However, I did not select "reset object styles" as this would mean a lot of work if the styles were lost. I should point out that Designer is behaving in an identical manner

Still no result. 
I have used a workaround so that I do not need to export styles at the moment, but it would be good to get to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks for your patience

2 hours ago, GrahamMYC said:

However, I did not select "reset object styles" as this would mean a lot of work if the styles were lost.

"Reset object styles" would not delete all styles. Rather, it would reset your Affinity to use its default set of styles. The only styles that would be deleted are ones you had added or replaced yourself before doing the reset.

It is odd that you're not seeing those dialogs, and that both applications are behaving the same way in that regard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

walt. Farrell

And therein lies the problem

I have spent a lot of time importing styles from sets I have accumulated over the years, so I would lose a lot by doing a reset. If possible I want to avoid that.
Also, I do not need in the short term to export styles, so the costs outweigh the benefits. Nevertheless, I would like to track down the problem.

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response Graham, could you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

In the window that opens, please select objectstyles.propcol, then attach this to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I wanted to test to see if I could export your Styles to determine if it was a specific Style issue or a PC issue - I'm able to open and export all of your Styles from your Propcol file, so it seems to be the latter here.

If you open the Brushes Studio and try to export your Brushes, does the Windows dialog show for this?

Yes. If I export brushes, I get a Windows dialog

I thought I would check back. If I try to export the styles category now, I also get a Windows dialog. It seems something was jammed, and is no longer jammed.

Irritating, but I suspect we will not find it now!
(Footnote: Windows has been automatically updated in recent days)

• 1 year later...

I was having the exact problem as OP with Affinity Designer, not being able to export styles (no dialog box opened).  However, I just noticed and wanted to share, that this happened when I right clicked on the style name and selected "Export styles category..." from the options in the right click menu window.  However, when I click on the hamburger menu for styles, and choose the "Export styles category..." from this section, the dialog box appears.  So, for me, problem solved.  Perhaps OP was doing the same thing as I was, or others are having this issue.  Hope this helps.