You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Sir,  Once again i'm sorry if somebody has requested for this feature or reported this bug...  but this is too important and annoying. 

The use of "Esc" key in very proper way... 

The default use of "Esc" is "don't apply these changes and close this opened command."

suppose I've opened an image, and pressed "command+m" it will open Curve Adjustment, now there is no use of "Esc" you have to manually press "close" button.. but even if i pressed close button, or clicked outside that Curves Adjustment applies.. I've to manually select that layer and delete it. and the delete button on "Curves" dialogue box is un-necessary

image.thumb.png.c8c4e566d2820ccc6e7284254b83f2d7.png

Secondly, if I pressed command+t it will load a big box of text, and no esc works on it and one has to close that box manually. too annoying.. "BTW try Laptops and see how difficult it becomes to move full arm from keyboard to touchpad so repeatedly. 

image.thumb.png.ac6f4d8e3ca3357e06aa7f7930197e86.png

Similarly , if I used erase brush or any color brush, it pixelate image without letting me know if I really want this to happen or not. This should first ask "If i really want to pixelate it or not" And if I press "Esc" it shouldn't pixelate the image so I could do that manually (after making a backup layer). Because there is no "smart" object option in AP, so once image is "not pixelated" it is already smart object and can be scaled up or down, but once it is pixelated, all information is lost and that can't be scaled up anymore. So there should be a "confirmation" dialogue instead of "you are already killed" dialogue.

image.png.91d9a281f45de6d02a614577fa631966.png

And there, where escape shouldn't close the box, it is totally ruining the system.   in system preferences, if I accidentally changed anything.. the press of "Esc" not only applies that, but also closes that ..

OMG.. what change did I do?..

image.thumb.png.dd1584323cc69ad654fbbc97bfffe6fa.png

Please make "Esc" to just go to Preferences's home view and remove the "close" button and change that  to "save/apply". And "close" button here and "x" button on the top are same. if some change is made, the "esc" shouldn't apply that but go to Preferences's home view.  

This all goes to.. "MESH TOOL",  "Transform", "etc" ...  "Enter/Return" to "apply" and "Esc to Cancel"

I hope these changes will put some ease in life.. 

Thank you

MacOS Catalina - 10.15 (19A602)
Affinity Photo 1.7.3

Macbook Pro -mid 15, 15inch.

1 hour ago, mfarooqi said:

So there should be a "confirmation" dialogue instead of "you are already killed" dialogue.

Yes, this is why I have all the assistant's destructive operations turned off. Just overlook the warning, and you have problems with the destroyed layer.

All you have to do is enable the query to perform the action, or display the message history, as with Windows notifications.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thank you for the tip, But couldn't find any "use" of this Assistance then. Because a layer is locked and I just don't want to get it broken, and an Assistance will come and will say.. "HA HA HA... this time I have killed you " It don't even tell me that my layer is locked, I accidentally selected a locked layer out of 100 layers, and that is not preserved anymore.. 

The windows you are pointing to are not dialog boxes asking for details before doing something.  They are properties windows allowing you to adjust things in real-time, where those changes are applied immediately to the document.  There is nothing to cancel here - you are working with the document in real-time.  You would need to undo those changes (Command+Z), not cancel them.

This is VERY common in modern application design so it is something you should probably get used to.  It is actually a good thing in many ways.

27 minutes ago, mfarooqi said:

Because a layer is locked and I just don't want to get it broken

Locking a layer in the Affinity products only locks its position, it doesn't otherwise prevent it from being modified.  This has come up several times in various threads on the forums and is expected behavior based on how that tool is defined.  As @Pšenda suggested, you can disable the automatic rasterization of layers for many situations such as this using the assistant options if you don't like it.  Undo works here also if you catch it when it happens.

4 hours ago, mfarooqi said:

no use of "Esc" you have to manually press "close" button

I could see having ESC close the window as being a possible improvement (assuming the window has the focus), but again, there is no "command" to cancel here.  The window is a properties window for the adjustment layer that was added, it is not a dialog box prompting for information before a command can be applied.

the delete button on "Curves" dialogue box is un-necessary

True, but it can be quite convenient if you have a large number of layers which get scrolled out of view, or if you have multiple such adjustment layers in place and don't want to take the time to figure out which one to delete when the properties window for it is right there in front of you.

if I pressed command+t it will load a big box of text, and no esc works on it and one has to close that box manually. too annoying..

The Character panel is a studio panel which can be docked along with the other studio panels on the edges of the window (drag the tab).  Using ESC to close this wouldn't make any sense as it is not actually a "window" in the normal sense but more like a variation on the concept of a toolbar.

the press of "Esc" not only applies that, but also closes that ..

No, pressing ESC does not apply the changes you make in preferences (which are not system preferences but application preferences, btw...), the changes were applied as soon as you made them (except the ones that require the application to be restarted first).  Pressing ESC simply closed the window.

None of the things you are reporting here are bugs or unexpected behaviors.

25 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Undo works here also if you catch it when it happens.

Yes, and this is often a problem - just do something on the other side of the screen, and the message is overlooked.

25 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This is VERY common in modern application design so it is something you should probably get used to.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you. In modern design, the application "asks" if the user really wants to do this before performing any destructive operation.

Or at least allows this choice, as for example Total Commander:
image.png.cc3667770d802077e7f7f67ed5ca6242.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

if the user really wants to do this before performing any destructive operation.

My comment on this was not specifically related to the rasterization of the layer, but rather to the general behavior of the various windows being referenced in the OP, which are not dialog boxes but property windows or similar.

The Affinity applications DO give you the option to disable the automatic rasterization, via the Assistant options.  The one thing that is a little strange is that they are enabled by default, but for this type of program I personally think that is reasonable.  These are not exactly common consumer applications but are intended for professional users who need to take a bit of time to understand their various quirks regardless, and this is a sensible one that saves you the time of doing this manually when performing those actions that require them.  You wouldn't expect a paintbrush tool to ask for confirmation before making a brush stroke that would wipe out the content underneath that stroke...

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You wouldn't expect a paintbrush tool to ask for confirmation before making a brush stroke that would wipe out the content underneath that stroke...

No, because it is not an automatic and hidden background operation performed by an assistant, but an operation that I performed with the tool that I selected.

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

My comment on this was not specifically related to the rasterization of the layer, but rather to the general behavior of the various windows being referenced in the OP, which are not dialog boxes but property windows or similar.

OK, you're right, sorry. I applied it to the behavior of the assistant (the possibility to undo the operation using Ctrl + Z).

12 minutes ago, fde101 said:

DO give you the option to disable the automatic rasterization, via the Assistant options.

Yes, and that's why I have it off - which is a shame.
It would be enough to allow a query/confirmation before the operation, and I would like to turn it on again.