You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images randomly consigned to Master page, then unreachable

Publisher v. 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

I am producing magazines, importing Word files and/or clean, unformatted text, inserting mainly .jpg files.

On several occasions, an inserted or placed image will suddenly not be "reachable", instead being displayed as belonging to a master page. That means that I am no longer able to move, edit, crop, replace or even remove the image.

The Layers panel displays the image as belonging to the master page where it should not be. I cannot delete or move it from the Layers panel. The master page itself seems unchanged and OK and does not contain the errant image.

The trouble is that it seems to happen randomly even to other - but not all - single images than the one currently being worked on, forcing me to step back and lose any intermediate work done to my whole document. If I discover the problem in time...

Here is a screenshot of how the image is shown (on the left) as if on a master page and in the Layers panel under Master page. 

Also, the text element shown under the image in the Layers panel is also errant as seen in the next screenshot.

When opening the original .afpub file, please note that the bridge image on page 18 is an image placed on top of the offending image (my workaraound!)

PictureAndTextLayerUnderMaster.JPG

NytOmGammelt2019-04.afpub

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Thanks, Pauls! That solved my quandary. I did not know of the ability to edit detached - very useful!

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

I may just add that the errant images can then be moved on top of the Master layer in the Layers panel. Very useful!