You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging visible layers alters image preview and histogram

I realized that merging all visible layers sometimes alters the image preview as well as the histogram. Take a look at the attached screenshots. The first one is with the merged layer disabled, the second one with the merged layer enabled. Do you see how the merged pixel layer reduces the contrast in the image preview (it's also visible in the histogram)?

Without_merged_layer.jpg

With_merged_layer.jpg

Hm, after some more tests it seems that it's a preview issue. While zoomed in to 100 % the image does in fact not change anymore. Exports apparently are fine too. But why on earth does the histogram change when not zoomed in at 100 %? I can understand the inaccurate preview below 100 % but the histogram? That's very misleading.

I redacted the initial post and the title accordingly.

• Staff

Thanks. With Live filters, you would want to check how the effects look at 100% zoom, otherwise, when you rasterize you might see a slight difference. I do see a slight change in the Histogram, but nothing unexpected. If you zoom in at 100% and then merge the layers, you should not see any difference on screen. 

I know that in order to get a reliable preview you need to zoom in to 100 %. But shouldn't the histogram be calculated based on the actual image meaning independently of the preview zoom level (or in other words always based on 100 % zoom level)? I think it's very misleading to see the histogram change when merging layers, it needlessly alarms/ confuses the user.

Beg your pardon but it does indeed affect my workflow. Until now I always thought I could rely on the histogram because it reflects the actual distribution of the tonal values. Turns out under certain conditions I cannot rely on it because it obviously does not always reflect reality. To me this is a severe flaw which every time I merge adjustment layers to a new layer leaves me wondering whether my image has been altered or not. In my opinion this should not happen.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.