You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot get OCIO Display Transform to work in 32 bit panel

Hello,

I am trying to switch to Affinity Photo from Photoshop (for a number of reasons, but OCIO support is the primary motivator at the moment).

I have gone into my (Windows) preferences and selected the Color tab.

Under OCIO I have selected the same OCIO config file that the rest of our pipeline currently uses successfully. Note: This is a config that we successfully use for every other application, so it is a valid config. I have also tried a number of other config files that we use on a regular basis.

I have restarted Affinity Photo and then re-checked the preferences. It correctly shows this OCIO config file as being the one that is loaded.

I have opened an EXR file, and checked its info. It shows RGBA/32 (HDR) - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (Linear).

When I go to the 32-bit Preview panel, it is currently set to ICC Display Transform.

Here is where I get lost. The OCIO Display Transform is grayed out. I can't seem to get it to be active no matter what I do.  I need to see my image under the correct OCIO LUT. How do I get OCIO to activate for this image? Is there some specific feature of OCIO that is unique to Affinity that I need to implement?

Thanks for any and all help!

• Staff

Hey @bvz, I've just had a quick test with OCIO on Windows and it appears to be working fine with multiple OCIO configurations (blender, Nuke, ACES etc).

My first suggestion would have been to check that your document was in 32-bit but you've already covered that, so we should then move onto what your configuration actually contains.

Affinity Photo exposes display/view transforms in the 32-bit preview panel—these do have to be explicitly defined as view transforms and not just general colour space transforms however.

Even if you don't have any view transforms, you can still apply the colour space transforms by using an OCIO Adjustment layer (under Layer>New Adjustment Layer). Do your colour space transforms show up in this list? If so, you can likely choose Linear (or whatever role is defined as scene linear) as the Source, and whichever colour space you wish to transform to as the Destination.

Hope that helps—if you do have view transforms defined in the configuration and it looks like Affinity Photo isn't picking them up, are you able to attach the OCIO configuration file and relevant directories? (If privacy is required we can send you an internal file sharing link)

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Sorry for the delay getting back. I was out of the office sick for a few days.

One thing that occurs to me is that our entire pipeline is Linux based, so the ocio profile has Linux style paths in it.

I rebuilt this file to have a windows style path in it, and also rebuilt it to use windows style line endings, but all still to no avail. I tried the adjustment layer, also without any luck.  I suspect the issue is somewhere in the formatting of the file and the fact that it is designed for our Linux based pipeline.

I'd like to send you our config file, but I'm not sure I am allowed to publish it publicly (can't image why not, but just to be safe I'd rather not).  If you could supply an internal link I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @bvz, apologies as I've also been out of office. Looks like you have messaging turned off (or I'm blind and can't find the option to PM you ;)) so I've sent a file request to your email address, hope that's OK. Look forward to seeing the config and trying to puzzle this one out..

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials