CLC

[Fixed] [AP 1.7.3.481] Failed to save, the document MUST BE CLOSED

Hi Serif,
I'm really unhappy right now.

AP on Windows 10.

After loading a scan (.tiff file) and working on a document for nearly two hours then hitting CTRL+S to save over the original file (on my desktop) I've got following error prompt:

APHOTO-fail.jpg.8468bda5e9396ad870c5c9b019e27034.jpg

which would be ok if Photo didn't close the document at this moment without allowing me to export a copy...

Yes, I'm an idiot and should save more. Or more often or whatever. I agree. My bad.

But it's definitelly Affinity Photo's fault and huge error if such a thing even happens.

How come AP even allows this to happen? How come that a copy in memory is wiped and user is not allowed to save the progress when Photo at this point knows very well it isn't able to save over the original file? Why Photo didn't make a working backup or something?

This is classic Affinity SNAFU, guys. :44_frowning2:

Suggestion: In case this happens, AP should in this case save a backup .afphoto file (say to desktop) or to its recovery location before closing the file - to allow user to resume the work in case such issue occurs. Damage control is imo necessary. Thanks.

Sorry. Are you saying you worked 2 hours on editing a document with no interim backup whatsoever?

Your 2nd post is confusing. You want AP to save a file you didn't want to save as you went?

Isn't 'damage control' the user scheduling regular interim saves based on their needs?

In Affinity Photo, there is an auto save feature. The auto save time is default 300 seconds.
This is under Edit > Preferences > File recovery interval. 
So when you reopen the file you may get a recovery question message ...

Edited by HVDB Photography
To add

1 hour ago, PaulAffinity said:

Sorry. Are you saying you worked 2 hours on editing a document with no interim backup whatsoever?

Indeed, it was stupid, I know.

Your 2nd post is confusing. You want AP to save a file you didn't want to save as you went?

I agree I wasn’t clear enough. No, I mean that when following dialog occurs:

APHOTO-fail.jpg.8468bda5e9396ad870c5c9b019e27034.jpg

AP should save a recovery file.

Edit: Or there could be a Save a copy... button in that very dialog maybe? UX-wise it wouldn’t be a bad thing I suppose.

I also never said I didn’t want to save the file, stated that I’ve loaded a scan (tiff), worked on it then wanted to save the result when that dialog appeared.

I just wasn’t saving work in progress (retouching).

Isn't 'damage control' the user scheduling regular interim saves based on their needs?

Yes, thanks, I thought I was quite clear in my 1st post that I was stupid not to save it as I progressed.

11 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

In Affinity Photo, there is an auto save feature. The auto save time is default 300 seconds.
This is under Edit > Preferences > File recovery interval. 
So when you reopen the file you may get a recovery question message ...

Thank you, but the file sadly isn’t there, that was the 1st thing I’ve checked.

8 minutes ago, CLC said:

Thank you, but the file sadly isn’t there, that was the 1st thing I’ve checked.

The .autosave file is automatically created the first time you open a file and is (usually) automatically deleted when you close the file

Maybe when you clicked on "Close" APhoto correctly deleted the .autosave file but by doing so left you with no way to recover the work you had done.

If so, that is just cruel.

35 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The .autosave file is automatically created the first time you open a file and is (usually) automatically deleted when you close the file

Maybe when you clicked on "Close" APhoto correctly deleted the .autosave file but by doing so left you with no way to recover the work you had done.

If so, that is just cruel.

Well, I’ve hit CTRL + S, I wanted to save work in progress. I had no intention to close the file, I wanted to continue the retouching job I worked on.

Thanks anyway.

Hi all,

I have logged this with our developers. I managed to replicate a different issue but with the same "Document must now be closed" issue: If you open a bitmap from a USB location, remove the USB, make a change and then close the document, you can choose to Save, Cancel or Don't Save. If you Save, you get the "Fail to save document. The document must now be closed" error message.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Photo on your platform.