You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Pixel Art Document is completely broken

Kryat

Hi!

The "Resize Pixel Art Document" feature is completely broken, at least for me. When using this feature, the final result is always a blank transparent file. I've attached a video demonstrating what happens when I use it. The image in the video has transparency, but the result is the same when using non-transparent images.

I hope this can be fixed soon... Unless there is some preparation I need to perform on the image before using this feature that I am unaware of... The official Affinity Photo documentation doesn't mention anything in particular.

Lynxmon_dst_battle.png

I see... Seems the problem is with me then...

Could this be a macOS Catalina thing? I just upgraded a few days ago. Everything else in Photo is working just as intended, only this one feature is giving me trouble.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, I think I'm having the same problem. I have some pixel art I want to scale up to 8 times it's original size, and I want it to stay pixelated. I open it in Affinity Photo and have turned of "Metal" as you suggested above, and I use the "Resize Pixel Art Document..." option to upsize it 4x. WhenI leave it on XBR it rounds all my corners. When I change it to HQX it doesn't but my pictures get blurry. Please advise! Here's the blurry image and the original source 

image.png.7df0f5775b04c463eabbcbe9fbfbcd61.png

Main Layer.gif

• Staff

Hi Jason Mark,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you just want to scale it up keeping it as is, go to menu Document > Resize Document, add *8 to the width field with the padlock locked to calculate the new dimensions, set the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour (this is important) and press the Resize button.

If you disabled Metal, enable it again since the original bug reported in this thread was already fixed and is not related with this. Having it enabled also speeds up the application considerably.

Woot!

Thanks.

Related/not related: I have about 100 images to do this to, does Affinity photo have the concept of "actions" like photoshop, where I could make a script on my desktop to drop my images into and have them all just "magically" expand in the background?

PS: One workaround I thought of was to import all the layers into one Affinity Photo file and then upscaling that all at once. The background imported fine, but when I dragged the other GIF files from the finder into layers they became dithered. I also tried with PNG files and it had the same problem.

image.png.777232c1f6aed20e79abeff80ee03466.png

image.png

• Staff

Hi Jason Mark,
The equivalent to Photoshop's actions are Macros in Affinity Photo. You can also use them in conjunction with Batch Jobs (execute macros while performing batch jobs). There's no similar feature as Droplets in Photoshop, you have to execute macros and batch jobs within Affinity Photo.

Regarding the "dithering" issue, check the layer's X,Y coordinates in the Transform panel. Make sure they are integer values. You may have to go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface tab, Decimal Places for Unit Types section and change the Pixels value to 2 or more so you can see more decimal places in the Transform panel (and elsewhere), then delete the decimal part in the X, Y coordinates fields. If the layer is properly pixel aligned it will look as sharp as the other one.

Ok still struggling.

Regarding Macros, it looks like I can't export? What I want to do is open 100 .gif files, upsize them by a factor of 8, and then either save them as a layered PSD file, or resave them as GIF files (or PNGs). Is that possible with Macros?

Alternately, is there a way with the "transform" thing to just have them all zeroed out when imported, so I don't have to tweak them all individually...