The forum changed, hope this is the right place to post Bug reports for Affinity Photo RC (since it's the version submitted to the App Store, I imagine it will be in the final build as well).

When a selection is active (tested with the "Free hand selection tool"), clicking the garbage bin icon at the bottom of the Layers panel will not delete the active layer. A history stack entry is generated, though.

If this behaviour is by design (I don't see why that would make sense though), the button should be disabled and grayed out instead of just doing nothing.

I would expect that to attempt to delete the layer, - I've raised an issue for our team - thanks

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Are Delete Layer (Delete in Layers Menu) and Remove Layer (in the panel icons) the same commands? I recommend your team to clarify ambiguous functions.

I suggest to put "deleted layers" to different panel, different compartment or separated division in order to distinguish from active and live layers. Putting "deleted layers" in gray-out color with active layers in the same compartment is quite confusing from instinct user experience.