You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Distortion with PDF Export

Just struggling to get a perfectly smooth gradient upon export as PDF. This is for a leaflet I am getting printed professionally. 

Smooth in edit and if saved as a JPEG. But causes 'lines' down the page as a PDF.

Colour Format: CMYK/8

Colour Profile: Coated FOGRA39 (although Web Coated SWOP v2 and Generic give similar results)

PDF settings attached along with samples of the issue.

Urgent help much appreciated! 

SMOOTH GRADIENT SAVED AS JPEG.png

LINES VISIBLE SAVED AS PDF.png

Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 01.42.19.png

20 hours ago, Nelly said:

Ok, so I exported your gradients.afpub as a PDF

You have selected "Rasterise: Everything" for your export. That forced the gradient to get converted for the PDF into a CMYK pixel image in its specific resolution (ca. 1500 x 3800 px). To export the gradient as smooth vector data avoid its rasterisation.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Ok so:

When you view the gradient.pdf that I had produced, did you see banding there, as well? No, it was smooth

(For what its worth I have a 2018 iMac with a 5k screen)

For PDFs I just use Apple's standard preview program

Will try the non-rasterisation idea, but I believe I started with that and was corned that then my gradient would not be in CMYK, which it needs to be, as it is to be printed...

2 hours ago, Nelly said:

In fact, if I don't rasterise the gradient doesn't show at all...

Can you upload this PDF please?

Do you see the same (not-) appearance in both your viewer apps Preview and Acrobat?

In case you don't test with Lagarto's "gradients.afpub" :  What kind of object is your gradient? How did you originally create or place it and in which Affinity app?

In your first post above I do see just two very dark gray rectangles but with text mentioning gradients. – Do you see gradients in these screenshots in your post?  Edit: sorry, I do see the gradients, I just wasn't expecting them so dark (had set my browsers monitor to reduced brightness)

Lagarto, I guess the banding is too little to become obvious in the small + lowres histogram. Here is a part of the screenshot of Nelly's first post enlarged to 300%. The banding appears visible to me, and it becomes more obvious if I look at the screenshot in a more narrow angle (e.g. from top onto the macbook screen)

1794478801_240509899_LINESVISIBLESAVEDASPDFx300.thumb.png.57e0bafa9d930d0e755aaa4a5cf79771.png

Another way to make the banding more obvious is to move the right (lights) slider in your histogram far to the left. – It will look somehow like this:

467808581_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-31um01_48_52.thumb.jpg.52bdf6f42646492bea4948c07dd1198c.jpg

You also can move - additionally, not instead - the dark and mid slider to make the banding more visible.

I wonder whether any transparency was involved when @Nelly did create this gradient.

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

what I am wondering is that why JPG does NOT show banding while the PDF does. I cannot see any remarkable difference between the two screenshots.

Lagarto, I do see an obvious difference between Nelly's jpg and pdf. The JPG looks noisy, possibly created by compression. That could prevent the banding to become same visible than in the PDF. A jpg must be rasterized, a pdf not necessarily, so I am not surprised about a difference between them. As long we don't have anything else from Nelly than this two  screenshots I don't think much about it because of too many possibilities.

Nelly's screenhost in zoom view:    top: JPG  / below: PDF

1212774853_nellygradientbandingonjpg.jpg.a726cbed175b7dfc874b629dce9a28a4.jpg

1220873074_nellygradientbandingonpdf.jpg.be41fce4feca9d2190fdfdd0a6a1c86f.jpg