You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Output resolution problems

I've come from a novice background in the Adobe Creative suite of programmes on a Mac operating system to the Affinity suite. I currently have two specific problems with Affinity which are likely due to my ignorance but I haven't been able to resolve:
1. I'm having great difficulty and frustration getting consistent quality of jpg images within Publisher when saved as a pdf. The images are provided by different design sources, appear high resolution in the Publisher document - but some (not all) are pixelated when the file is saved and viewed as a pdf;
2. In addition, drop shadows created within the Affinity programmes are not visible when the file is saved as a pdf. Is there some basic setting/format/technique that I'm unaware of that I need to apply to ensure the drop shadow is visible in the pdf.

• Staff

Hi Ant and Welcome to the Forums,

12 hours ago, Adot said:

1. I'm having great difficulty and frustration getting consistent quality of jpg images within Publisher when saved as a pdf. The images are provided by different design sources, appear high resolution in the Publisher document - but some (not all) are pixelated when the file is saved and viewed as a pdf;

Could you make sure the images are embedded and either post the afpub file here or upload it to our Dropbox here and i'll take a look at what the issue could be.

12 hours ago, Adot said:

2. In addition, drop shadows created within the Affinity programmes are not visible when the file is saved as a pdf. Is there some basic setting/format/technique that I'm unaware of that I need to apply to ensure the drop shadow is visible in the pdf

How have you created the drop shadow and what PDF export settings are you using?  I just used the Layer Fx and set an outer shadow on some text and this was present in a PDF i exported.  Really need a copy of the file in order to help further :) 

Hi, I've uploaded the publisher file, albeit rather large as I found that if I tried to size the placed images, it would alter their quality. I haven't tried to answer your questions as I imagine you'll have everything you need with the file supplied? This job has a very quick turnaround - about 3 days - so both myself and the client are anxious to learn what I need to do to ensure I don't have this problem moving forward. Thank you very much for your time. Kind regards, Tracy Silver

Hi again, I would appreciate some feedback regarding the problem I've outlined previously. Would you please let me know how I may resolve the issue or if it may be resolved at all. I need to inform/reassure my client regarding future publications. Please also do not hesitate to contact me if you require more information / files. Thank you again for your time. Kind regards, Tracy Silver