You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If you check both Favour editable text over fidelity and Group lines of text into text frames, then Designer will try to turn text into reflowing paragraphs with tabstops and alignment. That is what Publisher will do, too; they will use the same code. We won't be importing native Indesign files.

Err… I don't have the option to "Groups lines of text".

I have the latest "retail" version from the App Store.  Is it a new feature only in the Beta?

post-14828-0-07677400-1448552685_thumb.png

InDesign competitors are Quark Xpress and… um, er..  iStudio, and ummm (does Apple's Pages count?).

Bottom line, professional grade page layout applications are few.

Have a look at VivaDesigner; http://www.viva.de/en/products/desktop-publishing/vivadesigner-desktop-version

Viva can open and save files InDesign (IDML) format. It was a former competitor of QuarkXPress but didn't get much public attention.

No, I don't belong to that company ;-)

• 11 months later...

:o  :(  :wacko: With the recent Serif announcements in mind, Publisher seams to be a low priority project. At this rate, we can be happy if we see something by 2020.

yeah

- they say they´ve been working on APub for 5 years (before 2015 I think)

- they said (Dave Harris) that they would release it as soon as it´s useful to some

- they said that linked text boxes and pages will most likely be an APub feature and not AD (well pages will be back ported eventually)

so why does it take over 5 years to develop pages, linked text and bleed preview?

That would certainly make the App useful to some!

But now we have to wait for yet another year+

what the..... :angry:

late 2015, early 2016, late 2016 beta, late 2017 beta.....

I read that as late 2017 for the commercial release, not for the first beta, but we'll probably have to wait until 2020 and beyond before its feature set begins to rival that of established products such as Adobe InDesign and Serif PagePlus.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 11 months later...
On 11/15/2016 at 11:15 PM, sambader said:

Logs in for the annual check that Publisher release date has been pushed back...

Sees that it has :unsure: :huh: :angry: -_-

See you in another year... (or not...)

Logs in a year later for the annual check that Publisher release date has been pushed back...

Oh yes, it has!

1 hour ago, sambader said:

Logs in a year later for the annual check

The only official information I seem to find is this on Publisher's availability in 2018. Are you sure that means in a year's time? This one is about to end, and previously, we were told it would come out around the end of 2017.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

The only official information I seem to find is this on Publisher's availability in 2018. Are you sure that means in a year's time? This one is about to end, and previously, we were told it would come out around the end of 2017.

Previously, we were told that the beta program should start by the end of 2017. Since it usually takes quite a few month before the sharp version is released, that makes it still possible, doesn't it?

39 minutes ago, vonBusing said:

Previously, we were told that the beta program should start by the end of 2017. Since it usually takes quite a few month before the sharp version is released, that makes it still possible, doesn't it?

Right. Beta is what I meant to say. And yes, it sure does. Before Designer 1.6 launched, it was said to come around Easter, not actually on it. Then on that April, there was an update that a little more work was needed. It did cause disappointment, but sure enough, it did follow it's goal and still launched around Easter. So as of now, Publisher's beta release of 2018 does still flow with what was previously said.

35 minutes ago, ferreirex said:

Maybe will be our Christmas gift ;)

What a way to start the new year.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I don't even get lumps of coal...

That is because

a. Your family and friends are worried about global warming, pollution and rising sea levels.

b. They all hate you ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

24 minutes ago, toltec said:

That is because

a. Your family and friends are worried about global warming, pollution and rising sea levels.

b. They all hate you ;)

Probably option #2. I don't think that most of my family give a dang about the environment. Not at the "let's be socially active about it" way.

What's a friend?