Jump to content

Recommended Posts

hello,

i'm a german user and I bought the magazine today. Now just ready with installing the program, it works fine. the delivered 2015 version of quarkxpress is fully upgradeable. The supported languages you can see in the screenshot below. the offer ends november 2018.

 

cheers from rainy germany.

screenshot_language.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a dumb question but specifically, what features does publisher will have that designer is not capable of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Big said:

This may be a dumb question but specifically, what features does publisher will have that designer is not capable of?

 

First and foremost, it will have linked text frames and pagination capabilities. We have been told that those features will not be added to the other Affinity apps, but other features such as bullets and numbering will be added to Designer (and Photo?) after first appearing in Publisher.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, toltec said:

Text Columns ?

 

Yes, those too, but I don't recall seeing anything either way about the inclusion of such a feature in the other Affinity apps.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can make a small list

  • more control over text and the flow of it, you can for example make the text warp around an object or a shape
  • more content is external links, so this make the file way lighter, also you can control the quality of the displayed image so you can work lighter and faster (end pdf will be full quality)
  • the master pages, this is a big deal, you can have specific options that you may need to apply in specific chapters or just plain simple to put a layout and numbering that automatically is added in each new page

The list is not a big list but its important, the control over text is a big deal, you can have many different text or paragraph styles all over your pages and chapters and many times you will be working with a lot of pages.
Also the ability to have a lot of content in a ton of pages is important too, I make 8-12 pages pdfs for print with designer at the moment but after a couple of pages it is getting way too heavy to work with, so I do make one file per page now to be able to manage them. It is understandable that designer can't handle so much content, it is made to create content and have different focus for the available system resources.
A DTP program however is more of a content manager where you organize your content in pages.


Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

...

Also the ability to have a lot of content in a ton of pages is important too, I make 8-12 pages pdfs for print with designer at the moment but after a couple of pages it is getting way too heavy to work with, so I do make one file per page now to be able to manage them. It is understandable that designer can't handle so much content, it is made to create content and have different focus for the available system resources.
A DTP program however is more of a content manager where you organize your content in pages.

That's right, though there are often additional other things for DTP programs to also take into account here too. For example when a software should also be able to be used for (technical) book creations (not just a few pages brochures) and the like too, it would also need to be capable to deal with flexible and dynamic page numberings, custom tags, customizable header and footer settings, support for creating table of contents, various indexes (pages, images, tables...), abbreviations, footnotes, language specific based grammar and hyphenations etc. etc. - So there is much more to take care about for such software than people do usually refer here!


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

I can make a small list

  • more control over text and the flow of it, you can for example make the text warp around an object or a shape
  • more content is external links, so this make the file way lighter, also you can control the quality of the displayed image so you can work lighter and faster (end pdf will be full quality)
  • the master pages, this is a big deal, you can have specific options that you may need to apply in specific chapters or just plain simple to put a layout and numbering that automatically is added in each new page

 

Yes, I would expect all of those things, especially text flow/wrapping.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

That's right, though there are often additional other things for DTP programs to also take into account here too. For example when a software should also be able to be used for (technical) book creations (not just a few pages brochures) and the like too, it would also need to be capable to deal with flexible and dynamic page numberings, custom tags, customizable header and footer settings, support for creating table of contents, various indexes (pages, images, tables...), abbreviations, footnotes, language specific based grammar and hyphenations etc. etc. - So there is much more to take care about for such software than people do usually refer here!

yeah yeah and those, I forgot them since I don't work with that big publications but I remember now that you mentioned it, when I was getting through all those in the class.

I was amazed that I could have a ToC made out of automatically recognized chapters from a word import.


Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 30 years of DTP we are afraid to ask for details of these obvious things. Potential buyers already lowered the expectations after it was announced that multiline composition will initially be missing for example. But as already written: Bought!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HZ-algorithm would indeed be really needed feature. We can do without for a while but before long there is no future without one.

 

Mentioned linked, autogenerated text frames with wrap features are must, also styles, master pages, and page numbers, headers and footers in them.

A couple advanced features which would also be of use:

Rule based styling. App would use user defined rules to automatically decide which style tag is needed in each paragraph. If you think it you realize it is quite easy to teach machine which parts should be headline, lead, subheading, first para, body text, image caption; especially if you have repetitive structured publication workflow.

Image optimizing at PDF export. You know, you expect app to be able to downsample images at export. Also modern apps can translate them to right color space at export (you can call this to color separation). But what little piece is missing: sharpening. When you downsample, right amount of USM is needed for optimal output. You could add USM to export procedure and achieve much better output quality. At the moment this workflow is possible in InDesign only using LinkOptimizer plugin and then it is still a separate step (though well automated).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen this demo of Publisher in use. It was released in December last year. (Did anyone get notification of this video?)

 

At 1:30, they demonstrate text wrapping... thank goodness! In the description they mention releasing a Beta version this summer, which I assume is coming up in a few month's time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

(Did anyone get notification of this video?)

 

It’s been mentioned on social media, but I don’t think there have been any email notifications about it.

 

Quote

At 1:30, they demonstrate text wrapping... thank goodness!

 

Maybe it’s just me, but I find it hard to imagine a DTP app without text wrapping!

 

Quote

In the description they mention releasing a Beta version this summer, which I assume is coming up in a few month's time.

 

Yes, it’s been confirmed elsewhere that they mean summer 2018 in the northern hemisphere.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup the basics seem to have been covered.

(Text styles, rules, baseline, text wrap, page management, rules, drop caps, text box columns, text box linking, baseline, spell checking, picture frames special characters, master pages – I wish I could see that far set of panels)

 

I find their Pages panel a bit confusing... Spreads are named after the left page. I can see this terminology causing confusion. e.g.:

"Go to page 5 which is on the 3rd spread that's actually called page 4" (see my screenshot)

 

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.57.46 PM.png

 

Even here, they are working on page 4, but page 3's thumbnail is highlighted with page 2's name is highlighted. Yeeesh... :S

 

I hope page and spread shuffling will be easy. They are a bit of a nightmare in InDesign if you want to pagenate (page imposition) a 32 page booklet. It'll be fantastic if that can happen automatically at export.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that in the top left corner where you usually have Personas, you get the icons for the other 2 apps. I wonder if that means you can select an item and jump straight to another app, edit it there, and save back to Publisher for a round-trip work flow.

 

5af2deae023e4_ScreenShot2018-05-09at1_41_56PM.png.336b95e6d90b103a6d2d047f190fbc85.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

It's interesting that in the top left corner where you usually have Personas, you get the icons for the other 2 apps. I wonder if that means you can select an item and jump straight to another app, edit it there, and save back to Publisher for a round-trip work flow.

 

5af2deae023e4_ScreenShot2018-05-09at1_41_56PM.png.336b95e6d90b103a6d2d047f190fbc85.png

There was some talking about those icons. You may find it interesting. :)

Best regards!


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's... so lovely. I come to this thread every couple weeks just to drool. And to make sure I haven't missed a beta release :D


Cheers

 

cealcrest.deviantart.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cealcrest said:

It's... so lovely. I come to this thread every couple weeks just to drool. And to make sure I haven't missed a beta release :D

You are not alone ... me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would have released "Publisher" 1 or maximum 2 years after Designer & Photo, you could have "captured" a huge number of Adobe potential migrants, but now it is too late the "trio" does not exist, so thousands are staying with Adobe, they were nearly yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davemike said:

If you would have released "Publisher" 1 or maximum 2 years after Designer & Photo, you could have "captured" a huge number of Adobe potential migrants, but now it is too late the "trio" does not exist, so thousands are staying with Adobe, they were nearly yours.

It won't matter. Every time that Adobe subscription becomes due for renewal, they will come.


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davemike said:

If you would have released "Publisher" 1 or maximum 2 years after Designer & Photo, you could have "captured" a huge number of Adobe potential migrants, but now it is too late the "trio" does not exist, so thousands are staying with Adobe, they were nearly yours.

As Affinity is sexier, cheaper and more intuitive than Adobe it is a "no brainer" to switch from Adobe Rip-Off Suite to Affinity any time. #LovingAffinity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.