You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I found what caused CS6 to crash on launch, I had the menu bar hidden by default. Once I disabled this option, ID worked again.

I’m still eager to try Affinity Publisher  :wub:

I trashed the ID icon from the dock and re-opened in launchpad. After ID re-opened I was able to keep it on the Dock and now works from there.

I found a Tweet in my Tweeter flow from Affinity saying that Publisher beta was expected for the end of 2016..."hopefully", implying a significant risk it could be later. We will have to forget about Publisher for a while.

Edit: I just noticed that the actual Tweet has been deleted. Hopefully, the year was a typo.

I found a Tweet in my Tweeter flow from Affinity saying that Publisher beta was expected for the end of 2016..."hopefully", implying a significant risk it could be later. We will have to forget about Publisher for a while.

Edit: I just noticed that the actual Tweet has been deleted. Hopefully, the year was a typo.

I'm told Patience is a virtue.

I also can't wait for Publisher. There are lots of reasonably powerful PhotoShop alternatives out there, and if you can do without CMYK support, there are as many Illustrator competitors as (they mostly differ in terms of what their primary focus is, but between Sketch, Acorn, Pixelmator, iDraw, InkScape, Gimp,  Manga Studio, Sketchbook, ArtRage, Corel Painter etc. you are covered)

InDesign competitors are Quark Xpress and… um, er..  iStudio, and ummm (does Apple's Pages count?).

Bottom line, professional grade page layout applications are few.

I have no doubt the required layout tools, master pages, colour tools and awesome PDF support will be there, I'm just wondering if there is going to be the same skitzo thinking as InDesign has and provide layout for print AND digital apps. I don't know anyone who does both (the disciplines are so different they might as well combine page layout with AutoCad for architects)

BTW, are there any [leaked] screenshots to whet our appetites? I saw a video demonstrating text wrapping and it filled my heart with joy...

I have published 6 books, with loads of images including editing photos, and drawings  using Apple's Pages 9.0 (page layout program), all easy to do, and easy to learn. Apple has now abandoned a page layout program, and are only trying to compete with MS Word's word processor.  Because I was in the process of completing two publishing projects using Pages, I havent upgraded to Apple's Mavericks/Yosemite/ or now El Capitan OS, because none of them worked with Pages 9.0. 

Now I need to make some decisions about what apps I need (assuming I also need to upgrade to Apple's most recent OS) to do the following: A publishing program that is not complex, I don't need a full-on professional version with massive photo editing/drawing capabilities. Also want a good image/photo management program since Apple has dumbed-down their iPhoto program. Perhaps Aperture? Sounds like Affinity Publisher would be perfect, but it is not available yet... Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

I have published 6 books, with loads of images including editing photos, and drawings  using Apple's Pages 9.0 (page layout program), all easy to do, and easy to learn. Apple has now abandoned a page layout program, and are only trying to compete with MS Word's word processor.  Because I was in the process of completing two publishing projects using Pages, I havent upgraded to Apple's Mavericks/Yosemite/ or now El Capitan OS, because none of them worked with Pages 9.0. 

Now I need to make some decisions about what apps I need (assuming I also need to upgrade to Apple's most recent OS) to do the following: A publishing program that is not complex, I don't need a full-on professional version with massive photo editing/drawing capabilities. Also want a good image/photo management program since Apple has dumbed-down their iPhoto program. Perhaps Aperture? Sounds like Affinity Publisher would be perfect, but it is not available yet... Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

Hi @Carole_G i say for you just wait a few days or mouths, im a user of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and this two is great softwares and easy to understand, make the life any time more easy and cheap than Adobe products, the quality is the best and the support too, have a lot of tutorials, etc.

Im sure after the Affinity Publisher is out, will be one of the best software of this style and people like me, how need this kind of product will buy.

Just wait a little more ;)

By the way: Pages 9 works fine with Mavericks/Yosemite and El Capitan!

Really? Apple forums I read seemed to say it was a problem - although, maybe they meant you must keep Pages 9 installed, because the new Pages that comes with Mavericks, etc. is lousy.  I guess I will check that out, thanks. 

It might be inappropriate to give this advice in this forum, but if you just can't wait a few more months for Affinity Publisher… you should try iStudio Publisher.

Coming from InDesign, I found it too simplistic and limiting and didn't bother buying it once the demo ran out, but if you're used to Pages, then this will actually feel like an upgrade. (it felt like a prettier version of Quark 3 – putting pro tools into the hands of receptionists).

Attention moderators:

Apologies if I have broken a forum rule by recommending a competitor product. Feel free to delet my post – I won't feel hard done by.

Carol, you can still do page layout with the new pages: Just go to the page settings tab and deactivate the "body" (next to the boxes for headers and footers) — this will make it switch from "text editor" mode to "page layout".

OK, a couple of months left for my InDesign subscription. The exciting part will be the conversion INDD >>Affinity. It's doable, from what I hear. There is this company called LucidPress (makers of an impressive, browser-based (!sic) layout app) who claim that they pulled that off. Can't confirm, since it's a paid pro feature only (I think, just lazy checking right now ;). Having, at some point, an easy conversion path from InDesign will make transitions a lot easier for us. But honestly: I'm even willing to rebuild many of my client's layouts from scratch :P

• 1 month later...

Rocketdrive,

I would guess from reading the earlier posts in this thread as well as some other comments made on this subject in other threads that Affinity Publisher won't open INDD files but it will open PDF files. So you would simply have to export your InDesign files as PDF files and then open them up in Affinity Publisher (of course some adjusting and tweaking will no doubt be necessary). Just a guess. Still worth it, even if we have to do some tweaking here and there. 

Hokusai

Affinity Publisher won't open INDD files but it will open PDF files. So you would simply have to export your InDesign files as PDF files and then open them up in Affinity Publisher (of course some adjusting and tweaking will no doubt be necessary). Just a guess. Still worth it, even if we have to do some tweaking here and there. 

You can open PDF files into Designer, but editing them is very limited – text is not kept as paragraphs so deleting a single sentence is not going to allow the re-flowing of text.

Publisher is going to need a major upgrade over Designer's PDF reading function if that's going to be a viable solution. I raised this issue in another discussion and maintaining paragraphs is probably not ever going to be possible because of how PDFs are structured. If we want editable paragraphs with tabs and formatting, we're going to have to be aiming at opening native InDesign files.

For me, at this moment i don't care about if the Affinity Publisher open or not the InDesign files, i have the strong ideia the Publisher make me leave the InDesign like the Affinity Design and Affinity Photo to that. 

About the old work's made by InDesign is right i say old work's, forget the past, go to the future, learn, teaches, share your new works...

All of this just for say, i want to try the Affinity Publisher :)

If you check both Favour editable text over fidelity and Group lines of text into text frames, then Designer will try to turn text into reflowing paragraphs with tabstops and alignment. That is what Publisher will do, too; they will use the same code. We won't be importing native Indesign files.

All we need on top of this is the ability to link two imported text frames to restore a text flow over a multi-column layout.

I'm just a little bit curious because what kinda app will Affinity Publisher become?

Affinity Photo = Photoshop like

Affinity Designer = Illustrator like

Affinity Publisher = InDesign like ?

I mean if it's really an InDesign alternative would there be lot's of interests for this new app outside the 'professional' scene? I'm just picturing this out of my own perspectives. I bought Affinity Designer + Photo because they are affordable alternatives and I could see them to good use in my workflow somehow - not because I consider myself a designer or anything professional that will push this software to it's limits. In my opinion, maybe not the developers' , but in my opinion Affinity software is some kinda bridge software that you can also use as a hobbyist because it's still affordable for everybody when you care just enough to have good software on your machines.

I can't see myself buying Affinity Publisher just because it's Affinity software and it's an alternative to some X well respected software. For me this isn't about getting all apps in the Affinity family - I'll buy anything cool they will release in the future when I can really make it to good use it of course but I won't buy an InDesign alternative app when I can't even work with Adobe InDesign for example or haven't even published a magazine or a multi page printed document in my life.

The Beta is free...so what's to lose?

So to paraphrase MSE.com's Martin Lewis

Do I need it, will/can I use it, is it easier, can I afford/justify it? Not forgetting of course, will it be the right tool for me?

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

yeah I see the use of InDesign but Adobe AI is a joke compared to Freehand it clearly shows how Adobe wants you to by InDesign.

If Designer offers pages with master pages like in Freehand they would have a true killer feature!

I work in design not publication and we need big many artboards for design ideation and such and AI is ok at it not great.

You're comparing an illustration app to a page-layout app. It's kinda like saying Illustrator is horrible at editing raster images compared to Photoshop.

InDesign does offer master pages (it has since version 1 back in the late 90s), as well as the ability to unlock master page items on a per page basis. I'm not sure what Freehand offered in this area that ID doesn't.

Illustrator offers artboards, and multiple pages; so I'm not sure what you're finding lacking in AI there.

As an Adobe app user since the late 80s, it's hard for me to say that I've about given up on them. I use the apps out of pure convenience at this point. I'm soooooo looking forward to Publisher because I do need all three apps to make the switch to an Infinity workflow instead of an Adobe one.

Hi MacGizmo,

You will have to postpone the switch to the Affinity workflow for at least another year, because the Publisher beta will be released sometime end of next year (2016).

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4