You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MEB — Thanks for the update. I was hoping for something sooner but at least its coming. I can't wait to do some layouts with it. 

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb

I'm also extremely interested in publisher for two reasons

1. I want to learn how to use it and expand my knowledge as I already did with AP and AD and stuff

2. I will have to do a book till the end of the year which contains some summaries, pictures, tables, votes etc. and I don't feel like going with InDesign is my desire.....

Some simple layout capabilities and the export thing for the press people would be sufficient for an "alpha". I would not expect anything fancy...

At least I don't believe to be as lucky as getting the publisher version in time but ... Well... Sometimes you've to have luck :D haha

Peace out!

Hi ONSO,

Affinity Publisher will be available as a public Beta at the beginning of next year (2016).

Is it too soon to make feature requests?

I work in an academic publishing office, and I work on ebook production, among other things. So I am concerned about document workflow--getting XML and HTML files into and out of InDesign. It is nightmarish--what it outputs is horrible rubbish that needs a lot of cleaning up. In today's world, print is only one stop among many, and our tools need to reflect that. (import/export of MathML and/or Latex would be way cool). Just making the text look pretty is not enough--I need it to be rationally structured, formatable, searchable, etc.

Also, while I am asking for the moon, can I run it on Linux too? There are no good design tools for Linux--I am still mad at Adobe for killing the non-Windows versions of FrameMaker. There--I said it--what I really want is my FrameMaker for Mac back again. And Linux. Please!

I would love to be an alpha tester for Affinity Publisher (to get my hand on it as soon as possible :-) ). I have a lot of experience in the publishing field (~30 years) and would love to contribute in any way I can to make the Publisher the platform of choice of a new generations of publishing tools.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 1 month later...

I'm just a little bit curious because what kinda app will Affinity Publisher become?

Affinity Photo = Photoshop like

Affinity Designer = Illustrator like

Affinity Publisher = InDesign like ?

I mean if it's really an InDesign alternative would there be lot's of interests for this new app outside the 'professional' scene? I'm just picturing this out of my own perspectives. I bought Affinity Designer + Photo because they are affordable alternatives and I could see them to good use in my workflow somehow - not because I consider myself a designer or anything professional that will push this software to it's limits. In my opinion, maybe not the developers' , but in my opinion Affinity software is some kinda bridge software that you can also use as a hobbyist because it's still affordable for everybody when you care just enough to have good software on your machines.

I can't see myself buying Affinity Publisher just because it's Affinity software and it's an alternative to some X well respected software. For me this isn't about getting all apps in the Affinity family - I'll buy anything cool they will release in the future when I can really make it to good use it of course but I won't buy an InDesign alternative app when I can't even work with Adobe InDesign for example or haven't even published a magazine or a multi page printed document in my life.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

While InDesign is pretty good for what it does I rather have something like what Freehand offered.

A work area with pages that can have different formats each with master pages.

For small page numbers this is more than super ideal and specifically for concept and UI people InDesign is not even usable.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Hi cekuhnen,

In that case you should stick using Affinity Designer which is pitched to be equivalent to Adobe Illustrator and Freehand.

For me Affinity Publisher should be a professional grade publishing platform, equivalent to inDesign but in time hopefully much better.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

yeah I see the use of InDesign but Adobe AI is a joke compared to Freehand it clearly shows how Adobe wants you to by InDesign.

If Designer offers pages with master pages like in Freehand they would have a true killer feature!

I work in design not publication and we need big many artboards for design ideation and such and AI is ok at it not great.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Hi cekuhnen,

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that artboards are coming to Affinity Designer. I'm not sure when but this feature is definitely coming.

Also, AD is not a finished product. It's in constant development, so please start nagging the developers for the features you need and if you get the community behind you they might implement it.  :)

I also can't wait for Publisher. There are lots of reasonably powerful PhotoShop alternatives out there, and if you can do without CMYK support, there are as many Illustrator competitors as (they mostly differ in terms of what their primary focus is, but between Sketch, Acorn, Pixelmator, iDraw, InkScape, Gimp,  Manga Studio, Sketchbook, ArtRage, Corel Painter etc. you are covered)

InDesign competitors are Quark Xpress and… um, er..  iStudio, and ummm (does Apple's Pages count?).

Bottom line, professional grade page layout applications are few.

I have no doubt the required layout tools, master pages, colour tools and awesome PDF support will be there, I'm just wondering if there is going to be the same skitzo thinking as InDesign has and provide layout for print AND digital apps. I don't know anyone who does both (the disciplines are so different they might as well combine page layout with AutoCad for architects)

BTW, are there any [leaked] screenshots to whet our appetites? I saw a video demonstrating text wrapping and it filled my heart with joy...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a screenshot of the tools would be awesome to give me an idea of where it's heading and what the workflow might be like.

I'm very curious if it's going to have a large toolset like InDesign, or a small one like Quark

(hopefully the smaller one because it will imply a simpler work process eg: 1 box object tool to create text boxes, image boxes and rectangle oblects and to edit their contents instead of a tool each (potentially 6 tools), afterall, they are sort of the same things.)

Here's an idea of what I'm hoping to see, attached.

Please please please...

post-14828-0-86114000-1443167958_thumb.png

I want a screen shoot of a complete software :P

Now, now… let's not get greedy. (If we ask for that, we might as well just ask for a full working demo… hmm, on that point, I wonder if the release date they keep mentioning is for the beta for testing, or the full app for purchasing???)

It seems Indesign CS6 isn’t compatible with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and I’m not sure that Adobe will fix that.

I can totally understand that they don’t want to support an outdated piece of software, but this will create a dilemma for all CS6 users. If they need Indesign, they will have to switch to a CC subscription.

This might create a great opportunity for Affinity Publisher and launching the beta soon would help a lot of people (myself included).

• 2 weeks later...

ID CS6 works with OS X 10.11 El Capitan, at least it does on my MacBook Pro.

I'm holding off using the Adobe subscription model until after I get my hands on Affinity Publisher and hopefully it will be my replacement for ID CS6.