You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hello,

i'm a german user and I bought the magazine today. Now just ready with installing the program, it works fine. the delivered 2015 version of quarkxpress is fully upgradeable. The supported languages you can see in the screenshot below. the offer ends november 2018.

cheers from rainy germany.

screenshot_language.png

10 minutes ago, Big said:

This may be a dumb question but specifically, what features does publisher will have that designer is not capable of?

First and foremost, it will have linked text frames and pagination capabilities. We have been told that those features will not be added to the other Affinity apps, but other features such as bullets and numbering will be added to Designer (and Photo?) after first appearing in Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, toltec said:

Text Columns ?

Yes, those too, but I don't recall seeing anything either way about the inclusion of such a feature in the other Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png

I can make a small list

• more control over text and the flow of it, you can for example make the text warp around an object or a shape
  • more content is external links, so this make the file way lighter, also you can control the quality of the displayed image so you can work lighter and faster (end pdf will be full quality)
  • the master pages, this is a big deal, you can have specific options that you may need to apply in specific chapters or just plain simple to put a layout and numbering that automatically is added in each new page

The list is not a big list but its important, the control over text is a big deal, you can have many different text or paragraph styles all over your pages and chapters and many times you will be working with a lot of pages.
Also the ability to have a lot of content in a ton of pages is important too, I make 8-12 pages pdfs for print with designer at the moment but after a couple of pages it is getting way too heavy to work with, so I do make one file per page now to be able to manage them. It is understandable that designer can't handle so much content, it is made to create content and have different focus for the available system resources.
A DTP program however is more of a content manager where you organize your content in pages.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

32 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

Also the ability to have a lot of content in a ton of pages is important too, I make 8-12 pages pdfs for print with designer at the moment but after a couple of pages it is getting way too heavy to work with, so I do make one file per page now to be able to manage them. It is understandable that designer can't handle so much content, it is made to create content and have different focus for the available system resources.
A DTP program however is more of a content manager where you organize your content in pages.

That's right, though there are often additional other things for DTP programs to also take into account here too. For example when a software should also be able to be used for (technical) book creations (not just a few pages brochures) and the like too, it would also need to be capable to deal with flexible and dynamic page numberings, custom tags, customizable header and footer settings, support for creating table of contents, various indexes (pages, images, tables...), abbreviations, footnotes, language specific based grammar and hyphenations etc. etc. - So there is much more to take care about for such software than people do usually refer here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

49 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

I can make a small list

• more control over text and the flow of it, you can for example make the text warp around an object or a shape
  • more content is external links, so this make the file way lighter, also you can control the quality of the displayed image so you can work lighter and faster (end pdf will be full quality)
  • the master pages, this is a big deal, you can have specific options that you may need to apply in specific chapters or just plain simple to put a layout and numbering that automatically is added in each new page

Yes, I would expect all of those things, especially text flow/wrapping.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

That's right, though there are often additional other things for DTP programs to also take into account here too. For example when a software should also be able to be used for (technical) book creations (not just a few pages brochures) and the like too, it would also need to be capable to deal with flexible and dynamic page numberings, custom tags, customizable header and footer settings, support for creating table of contents, various indexes (pages, images, tables...), abbreviations, footnotes, language specific based grammar and hyphenations etc. etc. - So there is much more to take care about for such software than people do usually refer here!

yeah yeah and those, I forgot them since I don't work with that big publications but I remember now that you mentioned it, when I was getting through all those in the class.

I was amazed that I could have a ToC made out of automatically recognized chapters from a word import.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

After 30 years of DTP we are afraid to ask for details of these obvious things. Potential buyers already lowered the expectations after it was announced that multiline composition will initially be missing for example. But as already written: Bought!

HZ-algorithm would indeed be really needed feature. We can do without for a while but before long there is no future without one.

Mentioned linked, autogenerated text frames with wrap features are must, also styles, master pages, and page numbers, headers and footers in them.

A couple advanced features which would also be of use:

Rule based styling. App would use user defined rules to automatically decide which style tag is needed in each paragraph. If you think it you realize it is quite easy to teach machine which parts should be headline, lead, subheading, first para, body text, image caption; especially if you have repetitive structured publication workflow.

Image optimizing at PDF export. You know, you expect app to be able to downsample images at export. Also modern apps can translate them to right color space at export (you can call this to color separation). But what little piece is missing: sharpening. When you downsample, right amount of USM is needed for optimal output. You could add USM to export procedure and achieve much better output quality. At the moment this workflow is possible in InDesign only using LinkOptimizer plugin and then it is still a separate step (though well automated).

• 5 months later...

Just seen this demo of Publisher in use. It was released in December last year. (Did anyone get notification of this video?)

At 1:30, they demonstrate text wrapping... thank goodness! In the description they mention releasing a Beta version this summer, which I assume is coming up in a few month's time.

11 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

(Did anyone get notification of this video?)

It’s been mentioned on social media, but I don’t think there have been any email notifications about it.

At 1:30, they demonstrate text wrapping... thank goodness!

Maybe it’s just me, but I find it hard to imagine a DTP app without text wrapping!

In the description they mention releasing a Beta version this summer, which I assume is coming up in a few month's time.

Yes, it’s been confirmed elsewhere that they mean summer 2018 in the northern hemisphere.

Alfred spacer.png

Yup the basics seem to have been covered.

(Text styles, rules, baseline, text wrap, page management, rules, drop caps, text box columns, text box linking, baseline, spell checking, picture frames special characters, master pages – I wish I could see that far set of panels)

I find their Pages panel a bit confusing... Spreads are named after the left page. I can see this terminology causing confusion. e.g.:

"Go to page 5 which is on the 3rd spread that's actually called page 4" (see my screenshot)

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.57.46 PM.png

Even here, they are working on page 4, but page 3's thumbnail is highlighted with page 2's name is highlighted. Yeeesh... :S

I hope page and spread shuffling will be easy. They are a bit of a nightmare in InDesign if you want to pagenate (page imposition) a 32 page booklet. It'll be fantastic if that can happen automatically at export.

It's interesting that in the top left corner where you usually have Personas, you get the icons for the other 2 apps. I wonder if that means you can select an item and jump straight to another app, edit it there, and save back to Publisher for a round-trip work flow.

5af2deae023e4_ScreenShot2018-05-09at1_41_56PM.png.336b95e6d90b103a6d2d047f190fbc85.png

37 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

It's interesting that in the top left corner where you usually have Personas, you get the icons for the other 2 apps. I wonder if that means you can select an item and jump straight to another app, edit it there, and save back to Publisher for a round-trip work flow.

5af2deae023e4_ScreenShot2018-05-09at1_41_56PM.png.336b95e6d90b103a6d2d047f190fbc85.png

There was some talking about those icons. You may find it interesting. :)

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

It's... so lovely. I come to this thread every couple weeks just to drool. And to make sure I haven't missed a beta release :D

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

If you would have released "Publisher" 1 or maximum 2 years after Designer & Photo, you could have "captured" a huge number of Adobe potential migrants, but now it is too late the "trio" does not exist, so thousands are staying with Adobe, they were nearly yours.

1 hour ago, davemike said:

If you would have released "Publisher" 1 or maximum 2 years after Designer & Photo, you could have "captured" a huge number of Adobe potential migrants, but now it is too late the "trio" does not exist, so thousands are staying with Adobe, they were nearly yours.

It won't matter. Every time that Adobe subscription becomes due for renewal, they will come.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 hours ago, davemike said:

As Affinity is sexier, cheaper and more intuitive than Adobe it is a "no brainer" to switch from Adobe Rip-Off Suite to Affinity any time. #LovingAffinity