You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with exporting to a .pdf in APub

Hi all!
I'm having troubles with the exporting to a pdf in APub. I have a large document; it's 8 foot by 4 foot. But when I go to export as a pdf I get a very small file size- all of 1.52 MB!!   Is there a limit to the size of the pdf you can do & therefore it's downsizing automatically? Earlier when I'd exported the same file, same settings (I just revamped the design a little & actually enlarged the document dimensions by 2 feet) I'd gotten a file that was close to 1GB. Does anyone know- is there any rhyme or reason behind this?? See attached files for my settings I used.

Thanks so much for any light you can shed on the subject!

Capture.PNG

Settings.PNG

• Staff

Hi Chul :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - I can see in your first screenshot that the export Area is currently set to Artboard 2 only. Is this the artboard measuring 8ft x 4ft?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, could you please attach the file (and any linked documents/images) to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/uwzAoDTubGR3CqnMHlBW

1 hour ago, Chul said:

Is there a limit to the size of the pdf you can do & therefore it's downsizing automatically?

There's no physical size limit to a PDF export in Affinity apps, however most PDF viewers (including Acrobat) have a physical PDF size limit that they'll display which is 200" x 200". This doesn't affect the above issue, but I thought it may be useful info to share :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that, could you please attach the file (and any linked documents/images) to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/uwzAoDTubGR3CqnMHlBW

I uploaded the file now.

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

There's no physical size limit to a PDF export in Affinity apps, however most PDF viewers (including Acrobat) have a physical PDF size limit that they'll display which is 200" x 200". This doesn't affect the above issue, but I thought it may be useful info to share :)

I didn't think you'd do something like that to us, but I was trying to consider all possible options. :)

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I've exported using the same settings shown in your screenshot - overall the export took around 5 minutes and the resulting file is 1.40MB.

I've opened this PDF in Acrobat and confirmed that its physical size is correct (96" x 48") and no objects are missing from the export, leading me to believe this file has exported correctly.

I'm not certain how/why the previous PDF export may have been close to 1GB, but it appears as though the exported file at 1.5MB contains all your elements at the correct size. Do you see the same from the exported PDF on your end?

• Staff

Although I can't guarantee this, I see no reason why not!

All sizes and settings look correct according to Preflight in Acrobat and your images are at a high DPI for their size. :) 

Thanks for your help & reassurance, Dan C! :D I appreciate you taking time to help me out.

One thing I thought was a little strange (which is why I thought it might be downsizing of its own accord) is that it took it approx 5 minutes to export & usually files of this size are done in a blink! :) I guess that would come back to the dimensions of the artwork?

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm not certain how/why the previous PDF export may have been close to 1GB,

Rasterize? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.