You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

That's not a pencil brush. That's a pencil brush!

AnnieW

Remember Macromedia (!) Fireworks? I loved Fireworks! I even keep an old copy alive on my old Mac Pro. It crashes every few minutes, but for me the user experience of working in an application that really makes sense to me, even when I'm away from it for a few months, makes up for all the crashes and for the the annoying homebrew definition by which Fireworks hides vector stuff in a PNG. In the last 10 years I've repeatedly tried to get used to Photoshop and Illustrator. Since I'm not doing design on a day to day basis, I kept on loosing too much time maintaining the software, getting puzzled and figuring out how to do simple stuff. A few weeks ago I started using Affinity Designer. My SO was very enthousiast about Affinity Photo and finally convinced me to take the jump. 

Dear Affinity developers, I'm having so much fun! I've even revived a few silly hobby projects, just because ... fun! Having a great UX really matters. Of course there's stuff missing from Affinity Designer. My main complaint is not being able to distort and warp vector objects. And Fireworks has this great way of gradually simplifying strokes that hold too many points, I'd love to see that in Affinity Designer as well. But still, I'm happy - happy - happy (I feel a song coming up!)

I've been playing around a bit. I've had a lot of help from tutorial video's, the Affinity Designer Workbook and of course this great forum. So I'd like to share a playful vector brush set with you as a small tooken of my appreciation for this great community. The afbrushes file holds the brush definitions, the afdesign file has some more examples and and my notes on how to create a vector brush.

Title reference: "That's not a knife. That's a knife!" from Crocodile Dundee (1986)

real pencil artboards.afdesign

real pencil.afbrushes

real-pencil-example.png