You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am working on a book project with Affinity Publisher and I have noticed many problems when I use psd images (imported or linked, no difference): 

-Alpha channel not recognised: if the psd has more than 1 level, the alpha channel is not "seen" by Affinity Publisher, so it is not possible to have a txt box following the line of the image, wrapping it nicely, but the program recognises only the shape of the image box.

- psd with different levels, the program does not see the file as it should be: some levels are missing, some other levels are misplaced, some effects are not there....

is this a problem of compatibility? I am forced to save all files in jpg or PNG if with an alpha channel? Could you please give me some advise? I would like to use Affinity Publisher, it is very powerful, my books are very graphic. Adobe Indesign is far less integrated and it takes me more time in achieve everything I want, while Affinity Publisher is far faster...but, I I would like to use psd files with all the levels I need: in such a  way I can change everything I want easily.

thanks a lot for your help. Any suggestion is really welcomed!

Andrea

• Staff

Hi Andrea Aste and Welcome to the Forums,

Do you have a sample PSD file you could attach?  I've managed to get text to wrap around a PSD file i have where i've cut round an object.  Where you have the option for the Wrap settings, there is also an icon to Edit Wrap Outline, which should show you what Publisher can see in regards to wrap path.

When you've placed a PSD file, if you double click it, it should take you into a seperate window where you will see all of the layers.  

40 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Andrea Aste and Welcome to the Forums,

Do you have a sample PSD file you could attach?  I've managed to get text to wrap around a PSD file i have where i've cut round an object.  Where you have the option for the Wrap settings, there is also an icon to Edit Wrap Outline, which should show you what Publisher can see in regards to wrap path.

When you've placed a PSD file, if you double click it, it should take you into a seperate window where you will see all of the layers.  

thank you so much. I did some further experiment (in attachment the psd file):
whenever I have a psd file with alpha channel and more layers or layers ordered in groups, Affinity Publishers does not see the Alpha challenge.
if I collapse all the layers to one, I have no problems.

I did as you suggested: The Edit Wrap Outline, show me the image box, not the outline/alpha channel. If I double click on the image I see my psd with all its layers and alpha channel. if I create a coloured box below the image, I see the transparency.(see picture)

thanks again for your help
AA

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 15.28.15.png

wrap text problem alpha channel psd.afpub

brummell little all levels.psd