You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disintegration Effect

What is the best way to achieve a disintegration effect with Affinity?

I tried to flood fill a mask layer but it doesn't have the same effect (I was  following a photoshop tutorial to have an idea on what to do)

ps I have no experience with photoshop and thought in using Affinity photo as my main program to learn image manipulation.

What do you mean by "desintegration effect.? A sort of a broken glass, with the surface spoitted away in many pieces?

I find that it is a really advanced effect for someone that has not worked with photoshop. Ignore where you understand the way this apps are working specially with layers, masking and selections, If you do not know these basis then, you may try to learn from scratch, just to get the basical knowledge,

I have done some composition with this splitting off images, and I did "broke" the shape 8nwanted with the pen tool. Each piece then, created a new layer so you can move them around and place then with the right perspective, shadow effect, drop shadowing, or even a movement blurring, Once you have edited a piece of the splitting, you can copy of the effects or styles and copy then down into the other ones. A strong blurred movement will give you a sort of. explossion effect and a nice use of overlayed gradients will increase the dramatic effect. You must be sure about choosing some special slice of the overall image or wether you wish to split the whole one, So always reserve the original image as a background layer and work. on copied ones that will be on top of it.

then you can make the original invisible clicking on the right button and work with the one on top. If you do not suceed...well..you can send it to the paper basket and re.copy again the background one,

Hope I may have been a little useful for you. Is good to learn and good to wish to do things that at first are a bit out of your "wits" with the tool, but I am sure you will learn soon,

Greetings from Bilbao, Spain.

Rosa

I have found this tutorial really great. I think that is possible to "translate it" into Affinity Photo language so far as you may understand the concepts of layers, and so far. Try to do it and follow the steps not intimidating yourself with the words, but rather "visuallizing" what is it that you are really doing. The effect at last will depend much on what kind of "brush" shape you are using. So you may experiment with the brushes, their shape and way of changing then and editing the way they act. They are versatil in this way. 

You will tell how how it has been going with the expeeriment!!!

Good luck!

Rosa

(glup...sorry....I have tried to post down the link and it seem not to work here) I paste it and...nothing appears. How is it  supposed to  be linked this message with YouTube then?...can you guess?

Edited by rosa cobos