You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A project inside a project

So the following has happend to me several times now and it’s beginning to annoy me so I was wondering if someone here had a solution.

Sometimes when I rearrange photos inside a project suddenly another project from the “home screen” of Affinity Photo is placed inside the folder I was working in. It creates a Project A inside Project B. The annoying thing is that is seems impossible to get Project A out of the “folder” of Project B. The only option is to move every single photo from Project A out of the project. This places the photos back on the “home screen” of Affinity Photo and then make a new Project and place every single photo back into this new project.

Its a lot of work if the project has 100+ photos...

See attached files 

A7DEC495-27CC-432C-833F-43F63C499DD4.jpeg

DCDF63FB-3A02-4205-84FD-7E4097EA63FA.jpeg

FEBB1E22-FAE4-46D2-A38B-0381C2BED6C8.jpeg

10 hours ago, MoChe said:

So the following has happend to me several times now and it’s beginning to annoy me so I was wondering if someone here had a solution.

Sometimes when I rearrange photos inside a project suddenly another project from the “home screen” of Affinity Photo is placed inside the folder I was working in. It creates a Project A inside Project B. The annoying thing is that is seems impossible to get Project A out of the “folder” of Project B. The only option is to move every single photo from Project A out of the project. This places the photos back on the “home screen” of Affinity Photo and then make a new Project and place every single photo back into this new project.

Its a lot of work if the project has 100+ photos...

See attached files 

A7DEC495-27CC-432C-833F-43F63C499DD4.jpeg

DCDF63FB-3A02-4205-84FD-7E4097EA63FA.jpeg

FEBB1E22-FAE4-46D2-A38B-0381C2BED6C8.jpeg

Very strange, never seen that behaviour before and sorry don’t really have a solution you can work with.  As a comment I wouldn’t use the internal affinity sandbox to store so many temporary files, I would recommend you save them outside of affinity in a folder structure you have created yourself because if you ever had to delete the app and re-install it to fix such a problem you would lose all those temporary files.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

Hey MoChe,

First of all I have to agree with the advice from Paul.

Secondly, I have seen this and managed to do it myself but not for a long time. I can't remember the recipe to reproduce it right now. I'm going through our bug reports to see what I can find. Can you offer any help to figure out the recipe?

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

I have found the bug report where I stated I didn't think it was possible to put a project inside a project but I still don't have a recipe, which can make it tricky to fix. Let me know if you have any thoughts! 

Ofcourse willing to help out. What do you mean with “figuring out the recipe”?

15 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Very strange, never seen that behaviour before and sorry don’t really have a solution you can work with.  As a comment I wouldn’t use the internal affinity sandbox to store so many temporary files, I would recommend you save them outside of affinity in a folder structure you have created yourself because if you ever had to delete the app and re-install it to fix such a problem you would lose all those temporary files.

Thanks for your input Paul! Can I ask what you mean by that? Store them in the cloud for example ?

13 minutes ago, MoChe said:

Thanks for your input Paul! Can I ask what you mean by that? Store them in the cloud for example ?

Yes, you can use the IOS files app to create a folder structure in iCloud or Dropbox or On My iPad as you would on a PC or MAC. I use iCloud as I can then access my files on my MAC or on my PC version and continue working from there.

Use Save a copy under the documents menu and give your file a name and save it to a location. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

3 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Yes, you can use the IOS files app to create a folder structure in iCloud or Dropbox or On My iPad as you would on a PC or MAC. I use iCloud as I can then access my files on my MAC or on my PC version and continue working from there.

Cool! Thanks, I’ll look into that kind of set up :))

• Staff
10 hours ago, MoChe said:

Sorry—I should have been more clear. I mean we could really do with your assistance to help us try and reproduce this. We have a log to say that it can happen but I cannot do it at will. This means it is difficult for the developers to fix if I cannot show them how to reproduce the issue.

I've tried dragging and dropping, dragging whilst entering another group amongst other things. 

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Sorry—I should have been more clear. I mean we could really do with your assistance to help us try and reproduce this. We have a log to say that it can happen but I cannot do it at will. This means it is difficult for the developers to fix if I cannot show them how to reproduce the issue.

I've tried dragging and dropping, dragging whilst entering another group amongst other things. 

What could I do to help? It happens randomly and up to now I haven’t discovered any similarity between the instances 

• Staff
On 10/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, MoChe said:

What could I do to help? It happens randomly and up to now I haven’t discovered any similarity between the instances 

I was looking for any clue that you may have to find the trigger. There is clearly a bug here but it is likely caused by a certain action or combination of things as opposed to it just happening by itself. 

I've had another go this morning and I just cannot reproduce it which always makes it difficult for development to fix when there's no recipe. I've made the team aware and we will keep our eye out in case one of us reproduces it. 

It would be nice if we could multi-select projects to more easily organise them. This has been mentioned countless times before.