You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t load files from local iPad storage?

ronnyb

I can’t seem to find a way to load files from local or external storage only thru cloud access. Is this normal?

running latest v1.7.3

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

There appears to be a bug (Apple or Affinity) where the .afxxxx files are not recognised as affinity file. You can open them from the app (import or open from cloud), but not from Files. You should still be able to drag and drop onto affinity to open them.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi ronnyb,

Unfortunately this is a known issue, that has appeared after upgrading to iPadOS 13. It is with development to be looked into, however we do believe it is a fault of the OS as Matt couldn't even get Apple Pages documents to open into Pages! 

So when can I access the files on my iPad?

i can’t do any work. I have to transfer my projects to the cloud to work?

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi ronnyb,

Unfortunately this is a known issue, that has appeared after upgrading to iPadOS 13. It is with development to be looked into, however we do believe it is a fault of the OS as Matt couldn't even get Apple Pages documents to open into Pages! 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi ronnyb,

To be clear I am referring to a missing option to load local files from this screen;

D9223739-D070-47A1-921B-742565C7A18B.png

• Staff
1 minute ago, ronnyb said:

To be clear I am referring to a missing option to load local files from this screen;

D9223739-D070-47A1-921B-742565C7A18B.png

I've just checked 1.6 and this is the same. There is no 'Open from Local Files' or 'Import from Local Files' option. The 'Open/Import From' options will open up 'Files' and allow you to select the location you want to import your files from be it, iCloud Drive, 'On My iPad', Dropbox or storage applications.

13 hours ago, Sean P said:

however we do believe it is a fault of the OS as Matt couldn't even get Apple Pages documents to open into Pages! 

@Sean P, hi Sean, I don’t have any problem opening Apple Pages docs from Files app. Still won’t open affinity though. Points to Affinity as issue?

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Not to beat a dead horse, Pages and Word documents open from Files, iPad local storage.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

21 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Not to beat a dead horse, Pages and Word documents open from Files, iPad local storage.

Hi Cecil, beat away mate. It’s a worry when mods are saying 'affinity feel the fault lays with Apple', yet Affinity apps appears to be the only ones I can find that are affected. I suspect that this issue is linked with Affinity’s inability to display in Share sheet the way apps like Lightroom etc do. It won't be fixed any time soon if it’s not even recognised as a fault.

Summersarah posted a very useful tip in another thread. If you drag the file across to the right edge of screen the Designer/photo logo shows and the file opens.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:16 AM, ronnyb said:

I can’t seem to find a way to load files from local or external storage only thru cloud access. Is this normal?

Hi Ronny, Summersarah posted a suggestion in another thread. If you can see the folder in Files app, to open the .af file, drag it off to the right of screen. You should see a split screen with the app icon showing. Let go of the file and it will open in Designer or Photo.

2 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi Ronny, Summersarah posted a suggestion in another thread. If you can see the folder in Files app, to open the .af file, drag it off to the right of screen. You should see a split screen with the app icon showing. Let go of the file and it will open in Designer or Photo.

Didnt work but thanks... maybe new ipados beta 4 will fix it...

• Staff
8 hours ago, DM1 said:

It won't be fixed any time soon if it’s not even recognised as a fault.

That isn't what I said. The issue is reported with development and they are investigating it. I was just saying that for Matt even Pages doesn't work which I have witnessed on his own iPad, however for me Pages files do work!

6 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Didnt work but thanks... maybe new ipados beta 4 will fix it...

Ronnyb, would you be able to record a screen capture showing the files you are trying to load in Apple's Files app and then them not being available when going through the Files browser when using Import/Open from Cloud please?

12 hours ago, Sean P said:

Ronnyb, would you be able to record a screen capture showing the files you are trying to load in Apple's Files app and then them not being available when going through the Files browser when using Import/Open from Cloud please?

So I now CAN load local files via Cloud Open/Import; not sure if the new iPadOS beta 4 released yesterday fixed it...

However if in Files app, if i select a .afdesign files and click the blue Open icon it attempts to open a preview/quicklook but fails (blank) and doesnt attempt to open in Designer. Is that what u want a video of?

• Staff
11 hours ago, ronnyb said:

However if in Files app, if i select a .afdesign files and click the blue Open icon it attempts to open a preview/quicklook but fails (blank) and doesnt attempt to open in Designer. Is that what u want a video of?

Glad you're now able to get your files opened. The issue in the Files app is the one I originally thought you were having and the one DM1 was discussing. This is something that we are aware of and investigating!

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Glad you're now able to get your files opened. The issue in the Files app is the one I originally thought you were having and the one DM1 was discussing. This is something that we are aware of and investigating!

I would recommend relabeling the Open from Cloud and Import from Cloud options to simply Open and Import; as you know iPadOS now supports opening from external volumes, not only local and cloud storage are supported...