You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very large Publisher file size

radek108

Hello,
I attach previews - the same catalog - about 100 pages, photographs and drawings as Linked.
In Adobe InDesign a little over 120 Mb, in Publisher over 4 GB.
These sizes come out when I attach the same files as for InDesign, and when I attach Affinity Photo versions.

Does anyone know what this is about? It's 25 times more than in InDesign :-)
The latest Publisher on Mac OS and all files are Linked - not Embeded.

Do you have any examples of (larger) files that show a clear difference between Linked and Embeded files?

best regards

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 17.10.39.png

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 17.10.59.png

When you place .aphoto files in a Publisher document, I believe there isn’t much difference in the Publisher document size, whether they are linked or embedded. I’ve seen this in the past as well, so your post made me curious and got me to perform a more systematic test.

• Document A: .aphoto file, 70.2 Mb
  • Document B: .tiff file, exported from document A, 11.3 Mb

File size of .apub document, when image file is placed in Publisher:

• Document A embedded: 70.7 Mb
  • Document A linked: 70.7 Mb
  • Document B embedded: 12 Mb
  • Document B linked: 0.5 Mb

That seems to prove my initial guess. When you place .aphoto files in a Publisher document, you won’t benefit from linking instead of embedding them. :)

hi,
thank you A_B_C for the hint. I converted what I could into tiff files. The Publisher file was reduced from over 4 GB to 400 Mb, which is a great success :-)

However, the InDesign file had 3 times less, although it had attached files such as psd pdf ai etc. When I connected the same files, the Publisher file also had over 3 GB

Attaching Affinity Photo files is super convenient - and so you need to have some files to edit and tiff files to Publisher.

I can see that it's almost no difference whether I connect AP files or have them as Embeded, which is strange to me, that's the main idea of DTP programs.

It's a pity, because large publishers / catalogs contain many files - which makes Publisher files huge.

Question to the Affiity team - why is this happening?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked yet, but supposedly this is fixed in 1.8 which is now in beta, assuming I am interpreting the feature list correctly?

On 10/30/2019 at 9:29 AM, AdamW said:

Linked 'Embedded Document' Resources
Better handling of Linked 'Embedded Document' resources to prevent files with such resources bloating on save.

2 hours ago, radek108 said:

Thank you for the information, do you know when this update to 1.8 will be available and what changes will be introduced? :-)

It's available now in beta (thus, only for testing) but probably won't be available in its stable retail form for several months. It will install alongside your retail version, though, and you could test with it by opening a copy of your current file and seeing if the files it saves are significantly smaller than when you save with 1.7.3.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, but be careful when using the beta to work on a *copy* of your documents and not open the originals.  Opening a document with the beta may convert it into a format that can no longer be opened by the release version, and in general it is a bad idea to rely on the betas for actual work.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread looking for a solution for my 9+ gig Publisher file with abut 100 linked PSD files. Evidently the same issue arises with psd file format and linked files as with aphoto files. This has to be a major bug. And at this stage, needing to convert 100 psd files to tiff is not comforting. Using version 1.7.3 – or should I hold my breath until 1.8 comes out?

Update: since this was to be exported to a high res PDF anyway, I batch converted all psd files to full size jpegs and replaced all the links. File went from 9.9gb to 17.1mb. I'll run my own comparison tests when 1.8 comes out.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon