juanborras

Embed layer styles into document

Hey There!

Is there any option to embed layers styles into a document? The idea is to "attach" the text layer styles inside the document so it can be moved to another working station for further processing.

Thanks!

Juan

It's not clear to me what you mean by text layer styles, Juan.

There are Text Styles (e.g., in the Text Styles studio panel) which can be Character or Paragraph Text Styles. You can import those from a .afpub document using the hamburger menu for that studio panel.

There are Styles, which you can apply to a Text Frame or to Artistic Text, and which you can export/import using the hamburger menu for the Styles studio panel.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

On 10/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's not clear to me what you mean by text layer styles, Juan.

There are Text Styles (e.g., in the Text Styles studio panel) which can be Character or Paragraph Text Styles. You can import those from a .afpub document using the hamburger menu for that studio panel.

There are Styles, which you can apply to a Text Frame or to Artistic Text, and which you can export/import using the hamburger menu for the Styles studio panel.

I meant the layer styles to set some shadow...

1 hour ago, juanborras said:

I meant the layer styles to set some shadow...

Sorry, but that's still unclear to me. Do you perhaps mean layer effects (fx)?

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're asking about?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but that's still unclear to me. Do you perhaps mean layer effects (fx)?

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're asking about?

Sorry! Yes! its the layer fx

Several possibilities for you; there may be others I haven't thought of:

1. Open the Styles studio panel (View > Studio > Styles), create a new Styles category (it's an option in the hamburger menu). Then select the text that has the layer effect you want, and from the hamburger menu use Add Style from Selection. That will copy the stroke, fill, and layer effects of the selected object. You can then export that Styles category as a .afstyles file, and import that on your other workstation. To use an imported style, just select the object that should have that style, and click on the style in the Styles panel.
  2. Or, having used the object in a file, open that file on the other workstation, select the object, and Add Style from Selection on that workstation.
  3. Or, as with #2, open the file on the other workstation, Copy an object from that file that has the style you want. On another file where you want the same style, select the object that should have it and use Edit > Paste FX.

-- Walt

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Several possibilities for you; there may be others I haven't thought of:

1. Open the Styles studio panel (View > Studio > Styles), create a new Styles category (it's an option in the hamburger menu). Then select the text that has the layer effect you want, and from the hamburger menu use Add Style from Selection. That will copy the stroke, fill, and layer effects of the selected object. You can then export that Styles category as a .afstyles file, and import that on your other workstation. To use an imported style, just select the object that should have that style, and click on the style in the Styles panel.
  2. Or, having used the object in a file, open that file on the other workstation, select the object, and Add Style from Selection on that workstation.
  3. Or, as with #2, open the file on the other workstation, Copy an object from that file that has the style you want. On another file where you want the same style, select the object that should have it and use Edit > Paste FX.

Will do with the method #1, although is there any way to export directly from the layer effects menu? just want to apply the fx only 

Thanks!

No, there's no way to export from the Layer Effects dialog.

But if you select your text object with the effects applied, and do a Copy, and then create another object (say, a rectangle) that has no stroke or fill, you should be able to do a Paste FX onto the rectangle. That should apply the layer effects. You could then create a Style from the rectangle, and it should have only the layer effects, and nothing else, I think. That might give you better results than creating a Style from a text object, which would probably include the font, font size, etc. in the Style information.

-- Walt

On 10/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

No, there's no way to export from the Layer Effects dialog.

But if you select your text object with the effects applied, and do a Copy, and then create another object (say, a rectangle) that has no stroke or fill, you should be able to do a Paste FX onto the rectangle. That should apply the layer effects. You could then create a Style from the rectangle, and it should have only the layer effects, and nothing else, I think. That might give you better results than creating a Style from a text object, which would probably include the font, font size, etc. in the Style information.

Thanks a lot Walt!

You're welcome, Juan.

-- Walt