You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embed layer styles into document

It's not clear to me what you mean by text layer styles, Juan.

There are Text Styles (e.g., in the Text Styles studio panel) which can be Character or Paragraph Text Styles. You can import those from a .afpub document using the hamburger menu for that studio panel.

There are Styles, which you can apply to a Text Frame or to Artistic Text, and which you can export/import using the hamburger menu for the Styles studio panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's not clear to me what you mean by text layer styles, Juan.

There are Text Styles (e.g., in the Text Styles studio panel) which can be Character or Paragraph Text Styles. You can import those from a .afpub document using the hamburger menu for that studio panel.

There are Styles, which you can apply to a Text Frame or to Artistic Text, and which you can export/import using the hamburger menu for the Styles studio panel.

I meant the layer styles to set some shadow...

1 hour ago, juanborras said:

I meant the layer styles to set some shadow...

Sorry, but that's still unclear to me. Do you perhaps mean layer effects (fx)?

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're asking about?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Several possibilities for you; there may be others I haven't thought of:

1. Open the Styles studio panel (View > Studio > Styles), create a new Styles category (it's an option in the hamburger menu). Then select the text that has the layer effect you want, and from the hamburger menu use Add Style from Selection. That will copy the stroke, fill, and layer effects of the selected object. You can then export that Styles category as a .afstyles file, and import that on your other workstation. To use an imported style, just select the object that should have that style, and click on the style in the Styles panel.
  2. Or, having used the object in a file, open that file on the other workstation, select the object, and Add Style from Selection on that workstation.
  3. Or, as with #2, open the file on the other workstation, Copy an object from that file that has the style you want. On another file where you want the same style, select the object that should have it and use Edit > Paste FX.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Several possibilities for you; there may be others I haven't thought of:

1. Open the Styles studio panel (View > Studio > Styles), create a new Styles category (it's an option in the hamburger menu). Then select the text that has the layer effect you want, and from the hamburger menu use Add Style from Selection. That will copy the stroke, fill, and layer effects of the selected object. You can then export that Styles category as a .afstyles file, and import that on your other workstation. To use an imported style, just select the object that should have that style, and click on the style in the Styles panel.
  2. Or, having used the object in a file, open that file on the other workstation, select the object, and Add Style from Selection on that workstation.
  3. Or, as with #2, open the file on the other workstation, Copy an object from that file that has the style you want. On another file where you want the same style, select the object that should have it and use Edit > Paste FX.

Will do with the method #1, although is there any way to export directly from the layer effects menu? just want to apply the fx only 

Thanks!

No, there's no way to export from the Layer Effects dialog.

But if you select your text object with the effects applied, and do a Copy, and then create another object (say, a rectangle) that has no stroke or fill, you should be able to do a Paste FX onto the rectangle. That should apply the layer effects. You could then create a Style from the rectangle, and it should have only the layer effects, and nothing else, I think. That might give you better results than creating a Style from a text object, which would probably include the font, font size, etc. in the Style information.

-- Walt
PC:

On 10/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

No, there's no way to export from the Layer Effects dialog.

But if you select your text object with the effects applied, and do a Copy, and then create another object (say, a rectangle) that has no stroke or fill, you should be able to do a Paste FX onto the rectangle. That should apply the layer effects. You could then create a Style from the rectangle, and it should have only the layer effects, and nothing else, I think. That might give you better results than creating a Style from a text object, which would probably include the font, font size, etc. in the Style information.

Thanks a lot Walt!

You're welcome, Juan.

-- Walt
PC: