You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I create any documents in Publisher, I usually embed all images and not just link to them.

Whenever I reopen such a document, I get multiple popup-warmings saying something like "The ressource image_xy has been modified outside this application".
Then the popups close automatically and everything else works fine.

But why do I get those warnings all the time?
First none of those images has been changed in any way since I last had the document open.
Second, by embedding the images, there should be no more connection to the source files, even if they were changed?

Am I misunderstandung something?

I think there is a a bug here. I place a jpeg file and use the Resource Manager to embed it. I save and close the document. I change the original jpeg and save it. When I open the AfP document again the image has changed to the new image as if it wasn't embedded at all. In the Resource Manager the image is listed as linked. The only way to change this behaviour is to change the Preferences/General/ by Unticking the "Automatically update linked resources ...." It looks like this Preference setting overrides the Resource Manager by making everything Linked.

image.png

image.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

16 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Lost in translation,

If you untick the option Mick Rose mentioned does this issue still occur?

Thanks

C

Mick's observation is generally correct, but for me it's the other way around.

In my installation, the "Automatically update .." option was UNchecked by default.

When I CHECK the option, the warnings go away.
UNchecked and the warnings come back.

I think this is counterintuitive, but my problem is kind of solved.

1 hour ago, LostInTranslation said:

That is strange.  Have you tried a Ctrl restart (or whatever it is) to reset your defaults?

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

5 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

That makes sense, because with the option enabled, Publisher would automatically update any changed linked files, so there's no need for the warning.

The question remains, though, of why Publisher thinks your files are linked if you've embedded them. MickRose seems to have found that this option affects the basic linked/embedded status of files, which it shouldn't.

Question: how are you embedding them? Do you:

1. Set your document preference to Embedded when you create the document? or
  2. Leave it set to Linked, but change the files to Embedded using the Resource Manager?

Also, what kind of Publisher document are you creating? Print, Print (Press Ready), or something else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This stuff is not new

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/96501-linking-resources-error-what-is-going-on/

I think there is already a bug report generated for it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.