You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, im working on a project for a client in Designer.. I’m vectorizing a drawing for a product that will be CNC and Laser engraved.. and now the engraving company wants the finished file in a .DXF format.. 

I see that Affinity Designer doesn’t support.DXF. What is the best way to get my document converted into a file that the company can use? 

I’m using macOS Mojave and iPadOS 

Thanks in advance! 

Marius 

Inkscape can save to .DXF so you could open the SVG in Inkscape and save out to the DXF format.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another option would be a free CAD app such as FreeCAD or an app of that ilk that can import an SVG and export to a DXF file.

Here is another CAD option: https://librecad.org/#download possibly better suited as well. Fail can't open SVG files. :(

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Re FreeCAD you might still have to use Inkscape, to get an SVG into FreeCAD so as much as Inkscape an annoyance it is also a benefit and in any case, probably the least worst option. I'm loathed to suggest online converters as you have little control over what you get and your artwork security.

Yea, good point! :-) Thanks a lot! I might be back to ask for advice when I try to export to DXF :-) 

Oh one question.. do you think all the vector lines should be expanded, (Crete’s into curves) before trying to make a DXF?

i don’t know much about laser engraving.. I only do hand engraving.. and it’s veeery different hehe