You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD on Win - creating new text objects and layers inside a group

Hi,

I am about ready to give up trying to learn Affinity Designer!

Basic layer management is driving me bananas.

I want to be able to:

1) Create a new layer inside a group: every time i add a new layer it puts the layer at the top of stack, even though i have the group selected? 

2) Add new text objects inside my current group: Text keeps going to the top of the stack instead of inside the group i'm working in. It's simple in Photoshop because you just have to select the group and it adds all your objects and text inside the group as new layers, but that doesn't work in AD. AD automatically selects everything in the group when you click on it which is really irritating and distracting and makes it hard to put a text object on top of another (it just thinks you want to edit the existing text), but you can't de-select the other objects without de-selecting the group too so im forever having to move text objects BACK into the group!!

What am I doing wrong? 

• Staff

A new vector layer will be placed ant the top of the layer stack and you will have to manually drag it into another layer or group, a new pixel layer will be added as a sub-layer if a layer or a grouped object is selected before the layer is added.

To have a new text object appear in an existing group you will need to select an object in the existing group and when you add the text object it will appear in the group above the selected object.

• 1 year later...