You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing: Layer On/Off flip-flop and "R" for rotate canvas

High guys

This two things I am really hardcore missing in Affinity Photo:

1. Layer on/off flip-flop command, Cmd+, in Photoshop
  2. R key for "rotate canvas", like in Photoshop, this is like handling a piece of paper - or not if missing.
  3. This two points are - at least to me - 80% of my workflow. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Exactly that I use permanently is missing 

please check the video and sorry the bad English, was not my day today 

Cheers,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

4 hours ago, Roland Rick said:

R key for "rotate canvas", like in Photoshop, this is like handling a piece of paper - or not if missing.

There's no default keyboard shortcut for View > Rotate Right (or Left) but you can define your own via the Keyboard Shortcuts part of Preferences.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I’ll use macOS Magic Keyboard as example, for rotating canvas using any two key combination of the control, option or command keys and drag left or right to desire location, with left mouse button depressed and similar function for tablet.  Or any other suggestions that would allow free, user defined rotation of canvas.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Thanks for all the suggestions. But none substitutes truly the workflow suggested. It the same like D for White/Black foreground/background color was added with 1.7.x as well as X for flip those colours.

In Photoshop, I am with the pen on the tablet, press R, the rotate the canvas with the pen - this is a natural move like you would be doing it with a piece of paper - then simply pressing B for going back to the brush or S for clone stamp - whatever you want to work with.

Everything else means hands off tablet, repositioning of pen after two handed operation on keyboard, totally not natural - no go for pro work, where everything has to go fast. I have no time to reposition the pen. Yes it's only a few seconds but non repositioning is 0 seconds. Somethings divided by zero = infinity. And that's how it feels to me: eternal time consumption.

I also never ever use the ring and the buttons on the tablet, they are all totally useless to me. The left hand is on keyboard the right one draws with the pen (left handers the opposite).

It is not necessary to move the hand with pen away from the tablet and reposition it after some weird keyboard commands two hands needed.

And the flip flop on/off layer is important to fast show/hide a layer with your eyes fixed to the screen to the subject you are working on and again: remaining with the pen hovering over the same position on the tablet.

All movement with your drawing hand away from drawing position and back needs a repositioning. Specially doing subtle changes this flip flop must go fast. You should see me working on an image and you would understand. :D Must add a flickering warning for guys with epilepsy if they watch.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

On 10/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, walt.farrell said:

There's no default keyboard shortcut for View > Rotate Right (or Left) but you can define your own via the Keyboard Shortcuts part of Preferences.

Keyboard shortcut, macOS Option R/L works 15° Increments, ok for me as I can hold down key for continuous rotation until I reach target zone.  I understand Roland’s point above and his professional work flow.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

56 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Shortcut, macOS Option R/L works 15° Increments, ok for me as I can hold down key for continuous rotation until I reach target zone.  I understand Roland’s point above and his professional work flow.  

Yes, but that was not clear from the original post, which talked merely about having a shortcut key, and said nothing about artibrary rotation using a stylus with the shortcut key.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, Roland Rick said:
  • Layer on/off flip-flop command, Cmd+, in Photoshop

There is no key assigned to layer on/off in my Photoshop, but if you just need to hide/show layer you can set the transparency for it easily: press 0 for 100 % opacity and 00 for 0 % opacity. Yes, it is not exactly the same as layer on/off.