You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator file recovery

Hi

I was an Adobe Illustrator user and moved to Affinity Designer.

I was able to recover my AI files, but I still have one problem.

It is my family tree that is composed of rectangles, with text inside, and features that connect them.

When I want to open this file, there is nothing in the preview window, and the page that opens is completely blank and empty.

Do you have a solution so that I can recover this file?

Thank you in advance.

Can this file be opened in Adobe Illustrator?

If you can upload the file I can take a look as I have Adobe Illustrator.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi decoom,

Welcome to the forums :)

When importing .Ai files into Affinity apps we read the embedded PDF stream, it may be that the PDF stream in your file is missing/corrupt and this is why you're seeing a blank preview.

As firstdesence has asked - could you please provide a copy of this file here? Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

You could ask @Dan C for a dropbox space this is off forum so the public won't see it and he could take a look for you.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response, could you please upload your file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/WgvL0hQET09GV1LJ9S1D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your files!

I can see that the entire document is currently on the pasteboard of the .ai document, as can be seen in the following screenshot -

image.png

When opening an .ai file in Affinity, we can only parse objects on the canvas, which is why the file was appearing as 'blank' when importing.

I have adjusted the artboard sizes for these files so that they encompass the family tree, you should now find these open in Affinity and the objects are retained. I'll be sending these files via Dropbox to your email address associated with your forum account - I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!