You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded images without the edit possibility

Laganama

Hi,

in some AfD documents there is no Edit Image button in context toolbar. I try to use the same picture in multiple documents. In first document thre is the ability to edit it within AfD using the button but I do not know why in my second document the button is missing. I proceed the placement the same way: File > Place or using the Place Image Tool. When I copy the image from the document with the possibility to edit to the second document, the button miraculously apears.

I even wonder, why the first scenario works only using the AfD tools (menu command and the place image tool). By simply copying the image from Finder and placing in to the document there isn't the button at all. The placed image even doesn't have the file name in layers panel.

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

Looks like an issue of new document type. Images placed in to the document created as Print (Press Ready) maintain the edit ability of images (Edit Image button apears), but all other document types (Print, Photo, Web…) ignore the image edit possibility.

Very nice discovery, Laganama.

The Edit Image button should be present when the Placed file is Linked, and missing when it is Embedded. As Designer is not supposed to be able to create Linked files, the Edit Image button should never be present for a file that you have simply created in Designer.

Apparently, though, when one is working on a Print (Press Ready) file the Placed files are Linked rather than Embedded. A number of users have mentioned that Designer was creating Linked files for them, and perhaps that is how it has been happening.

@Gabe: Is this the same problem that you indicated was fixed in the beta in this other topic? This variant still seems to happen in Designer 1.8.0.486 (Windows).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @walt.farrell,

I'm not sure about this theory :) Because when I place for example another AfD document into my current document (I embed it), the button is present. The principle should be the ability to edit even embeded document. Am I wrong? The image (or embedded document) opens in separate window and changes are shown immediately. I haven't meant files (images) created directly in Designer (pixel layer). I meant images placed in to my document.

2 minutes ago, Laganama said:

I'm not sure about this theory :) Because when I place for example another AfD document into my current document (I embed it), the button is present. The principle should be the ability to edit even embeded document. Am I wrong? The image (or embedded document) opens in separate window and changes are shown immediately. I haven't meant files (images) created directly in Designer (pixel layer). I meant images placed in to my document.

Placed document files (PDF, .afdesign, .afphoto, .afpub, ...) work differently from Placed images (JPEG, TIFF, PNG).

One of the differences is that you can edit embedded document files or linked document files, but you can only edit linked image files (not embedded image files).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I was thinking about it the way it would be nice to have the Edit Image button as fix. But probably there is no need to leave the current document to edit such an image. What is not possible in pixel persona can be done by switching to AfPhoto. And for sophisticated edits I can simple save and place the image (with appropriate edits) as .afdesign document.

What do you mean about my second earlier topic: The image placed by copy-pasting from Finder does not have its name in layers panel.

35 minutes ago, Laganama said:

What do you mean about my second earlier topic: The image placed by copy-pasting from Finder does not have its name in layers panel.

Sorry; I have no idea about that.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi both,

This might be indeed the recipe to create linked files :) Very nice finding. That other topic is a different (but similar) issue. 

That pasting issue is not technically an issue. You're pasting from Clipboard, and the way data is passed across does not include the image's name. Not a bug, but more of a feature request. Feel free to create a new post here:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/56-feedback-for-the-affinity-suite-of-products/

• 2 months later...