You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Different styles with the same name on multiple documents

Hi all,

When I copy a text with style from one document to another that have a style with the same name, Affinity Publisher rename a style adding a number instead of adapting the style to the specifications that have the same name style on the new document.

This is extremely useful when we have several documents that share the same text with different styles.

For example, imagine that we are designing a calendar, but we have 4 different models, one pocket, another to hang on the wall, another for the table, etc. All share the same text, however each requires different text styles.

The following year, when updating the calendar, we will only be necessary to modify one of the models and then copy and paste the text into each different calendar, as they all share the same style names, the new text of calendar will automatically adapt to each different design.

I don't know if you understand!-_-

33 minutes ago, Lluís said:

This is extremely useful

As worded, it seems as though you are saying that the current behavior is extremely useful. However, I get the impression that you meant to say that it would be useful for the styles of same names to keep that style name and instead adapt to the style as it is in the current document into which the text is pasted.

If I have understood your meaning, then I do agree. I wish it would not automatically create duplicate styles. I would like this to be true even when coming from other apps (such as InDesign and MS Word) where the style name is part of the copied text.

This is the way I would always or almost want it to work, but other people with a different workflow might not agree, so this may need to be optional or configurable via preferences.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

If I have understood your meaning, then I do agree. I wish it would not automatically create duplicate styles. I would like this to be true even when coming from other apps (such as InDesign and MS Word) where the style name is part of the copied text.

Exactly that's it.

Apologies for my english

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

I wish it would not automatically create duplicate styles. I would like this to be true even when coming from other apps (such as InDesign and MS Word) where the style name is part of the copied text.

In InDesign when you delete a style (like a duplicate style) it asks whether I want to replace it with another existing style. This is very smart. Publisher does no such thing. (I have not yet really figured out what it does...)

6 minutes ago, Fixx said:

In InDesign when you delete a style (like a duplicate style) it asks whether I want to replace it with another existing style. This is very smart. Publisher does no such thing. (I have not yet really figured out what it does...)

Yes, I like that too. I think that is a separate issue, but if Publisher worked like that, it would certainly make this issue easier to work around.

29 minutes ago, Lluís said:

Apologies for my english

No problem at all. Thank you for your comment.