You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invert that B&W layer
Right click on it and select Rasterise to Mask
To make it a clipping mask :

- drag it over the image layer thumbnail until you see a small vertical bleu bar, and release
   - or right click and select Mask to below

007 2019-10-21, 21_33_53.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I'm definitely not getting it. It looks so simple. I open my picture and see it as a layer in the layers panel. I then open my b&w photo and it replaces my photo in the layers panel??? So weird.

I already inverted the image and saved it as a jpeg.I don't see the photo at all. It was replaced by the B&W photo. It should have shown what you have, the tiger and the mask unter it. Confused.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, rudyp16 said:

I open my picture and see it as a layer in the layers panel. I then open my b&w photo and it replaces my photo in the layers panel??? So weird.

It does not replace anything. When you do as above, you have two documents open, each with its own Layers panel. So like in the video you can copy the b&w layer in its document window or tab & paste it into the document where you want to use it as a mask.

You can copy any selected layer or layers (including Group, Adjustment, & Live Filter layers) in any open Affinity document & paste that into any other open Affinity document, including into a different Affinity app if you own more than one of them. In fact, people that own only Designer can download Affinity Photo files (.afphoto documents) from the forum that include layers that only Photo can create, open them in Designer, & copy those layers into their own Affinity Designer (.afdesign) documents.

Once you understand how to use it, you should see that it is a very useful feature with many different applications.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7