You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused by gradient tool

I sometimes use the gradient tool in the Develop Persona, for example starting with the cursor at the top of a sky and using it to achieve the effect of a sky getting darker from the horizon to the top. What I don’t seem to be able to do is use the gradient tool in the Photo Persona in the same way. Whereas in Develop the red gradient overlay changes to show the colour image as soon as I change a setting (e.g. reducing the exposure slider), when using the gradient tool in Photo, all I see is white. I just want to use the tool fairly basically to apply the same sort of graduated change in Photo as I can in Develop. I’m probably missing something pretty simple.

These are not the same tool.

In the Photo Persona it is a "Gradient Tool", in the Develop Persona it is a "Overlay Gradient Tool".

The first gives various, adjustable types of gradient, the second just an overlay (hence the red colour.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I don’t think I explained myself very well. I think I’ve now discovered the answer to my query, so I’ll post it here just in case anyone with the same query should happen to come across this.

When modifying a selected area of a raw file in the Develop Persona using the gradient overlay, the gradient overlay has first to be drawn onto the image, and then the edit can be made, for example a graduated reduction in the exposure of a sky. I now realise that to achieve a similar result in the Photo Persona, the gradient has to be drawn onto the adjusted layer (for example, a levels adjustment layer). So the gradient overlay in Develop is drawn before the adjustment is made, whereas the gradient has to be applied after the adjustment is made in the Photo Persona.