You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm using Affinity Publisher on Windows 10. Can anybody tell me why the following happens?
I import an A5 pdf flier.
It looks fine but when I check the document setup it says it's 'custom' but 148mmx210mm portrait - so a custom A5. Fine.
So, for completeness, I change the setup to standard A5.

Instantly the page dimensions change to 74mmx105mm but the elements maintain an A5 size. So I have only the central part of my flier showing.

I go back to document setup and it's showing 74mmx210mm custom, and will not change - however many times I try to tell it to use A5 parameters.

Obviously, I'm missing something... what should I be doing?

It has happened with three separate pdfs, so it's not a problem with the pdfs themselves, it seems.

Cheers,

Tony

Made my own tests and I would call it a bug. I guess, you opened not imported the PDF? When you open a PDF there is a dialogue where you can type in the documents DPI. Was it 600 in your case? When I do the spread setup afterwards and change the custom format to A4 (in my case), the document size was reduced to A5, but the content kept its size. I think the presets in the spread setup were all defined with 300dpi.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, Tony Cotterill said:

I import an A5 pdf flier.

Please clarify whether you imported it (File > Place) or opened it (File > Open).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It also raised a separate question - unconnected with this particular issue, yet linked.
Is there a way to import a pdf (File>Place) into a frame in Publisher, or open in Photo, for that matter WITHOUT breaking it down into an editable file. The same flier which I initially wanted to use as a template for further fliers, I now also want to use as an image in its own right. It which uses a decorative font that I don't have installed so the font gets interpreted as curves and goes all screwy. All I wanted was the image in this case as thought it were a JPG or TIFF for example.
I tried to open it in Photo and create a TIFF from it but Photo tries to do the same thing and I get a jumbled image.
Reluctantly, I had to revert to Photoshop which opened it as it looks, for this task.

3 minutes ago, Tony Cotterill said:

Is there a way to import a pdf (File>Place) into a frame in Publisher, or open in Photo, for that matter WITHOUT breaking it down into an editable file.

No, passthrough PDF is not yet supported.

Maybe you can export as EPS from Acrobat? In this case the fonts should be converted to curves. Just a thesis with the current version, because Publisher hangs on importing an EPS I had at hand. But keep it in mind, that any format being editable makes the document size bigger in any case (linked or embedded).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I can reproduce this. Strangely it only seems to happen on a page or spread that is currently in focus at the time the format preset is changed. I added two pages after the last page, made the new last page active and changed to A5 preset, and no changes in the layout.

Before doing that, I had changed the document units from pt to mm (File > Document Setup), and also specified the document to be "Facing pages" as without this elements crossing the spine do not show properly.

So this seems to be a bug, but one for which there is an easy work around.