You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: non rectangular re-size of map image

I have about 40 large scale maps of Bavaria from 1940 that I need to knit together from scanned 1: 100,000 scale maps.

Unfortunately, not all were scanned as perfect rectangles, so they do not meet well at a top corner edge whereas they do at the bottom. The entire image can't be rotated as the corners elsewhere are fine, where I want roads, railways and rivers etc to continue through the join.

I've tried a variety of ways to distort the image to meet, and I've done it successfully before using other software. Is there a recommended way to move simply the top-right node of a picture by a fraction?

I appreciate is it probably a very obvious question, but I've not tried to do this so far with Designer.

extract.jpg

It’s difficult to tell from your description and image exactly what the problem is.
Would you be able to attach four (unedited) images (in a Designer document if necessary) that show the problem?
The things I’m wondering about is how much overlay there is between the images and if it’s possible to also remove the scale bars.
I don’t think you will be able to successfully do this with Designer as you can’t ‘reshape’ images by warping them.
However, it might be possible in Photo - which you can get a limited-period trial of for free - it just needs some experimentation to get a good technique before you download the trial and your time ticks away.

If you have used File > Place to place the images in Designer you can use convert to curves on an image layer then use the Node Tool to slightly adjust the image from the corners

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.