You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on every "Open" or "New"

• Staff

Hi Martin_235,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble, this usually indicates that your GPU drivers are out of date/corrupted. Please download and install the latest drivers for your GPU through Device Manager, then restart your system and launch Affinity - hopefully this should resolve your issue for you!

If you're unsure how to check for Driver updates, please see the following - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028443/windows-10-update-drivers

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created .dmp file, then attach this to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, this shows that the app is crashing when contacting DirectX.

In order for us to investigate this further and improve the app in the future, I'd like to request a further dump file be generated.

Can you please;

1. Download ProcDump from the following link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procdump 
  2. Extract the files from the zip folder, then create a new folder on the root of your C:\ drive called ProcDump then move procdump64.exe into this folder.
  3. Open Command Prompt (cmd from the Run dialog) then type  cd\procdump  and press enter.
  4. Now paste the following string and press enter, then make sure you leave CMD running.
  5. procdump64.exe -mp -w photo.exe
  6. Now with CMD running in the background, try launching Affinity Photo and wait for the app to crash/close.
  7. Open the folder C:\ProcDump - hopefully you will have a .dmp file created here that you can upload to your response.

I'd also like to know the driver version number that's currently in use, if you open Device Manager then right-click on your Intel HD 620 and select Properties. In the dialog that opens select the Driver tab at the top and here you should find the driver version number.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here, it's certainly more than appreciated.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad to hear that Affinity is no longer crashing.

Your crash log showed that you were 'Out of memory' so it may have been a temporary issue - may I ask how long you have been experiencing this crash for our future reference?

Please note -

Many thanks!

I tried it after installation 5 times, after forum-thread 2 times and after your first answer again.... for around 3 hours or so.... 

Out of memory seams wrong, because i opened one more app (GIMP), not less  since last try.... but now it works... let's see how long.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, if you have any further issues please don't hesitate to comment here, or if it's unrelated then start a new thread :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hello guys... i´m with the same problem... my Photo crashes when startup...

I´m sending my DUMP File atached.

The odd thing is that if I just try to open Photo, it crashes, but if I right click on an image and select to open it often works.

I´m using Geforce Game Ready Driver - Version 440.97 

I´m tried some older versions, but not resolved my problem with crash

Photo.exe_191028_114416.dmp

• Staff

Hi Alessandro Perez :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings\

In the folder that opens you should see a file called "Application.xml" please remove this file and replace it with the copy I've attached to my post here.

Now try opening Affinity Photo again, does the app still crash for you?

Application.xml

Please note -

Many thanks!