You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BSOD and cldflt.sys, OneDrive issue?

I have new Surface Laptop 2 with the latest Windows 10 Pro. Tried Affinity Designer trial version from the Microsoft Store, liked it and purchased the full version from the Microsoft Store. The trial version worked fine, without issues. The full version was installed as a second version, leaving the trial version visible. That was slightly annoying, so I uninstalled the trial version. This may have caused some registry errors.

When starting the full version of Affinity Designer, the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) emerged after five seconds, referring to cldflt.sys. Uninstalling and reinstalling the AD did not help.

Followed one cldflt.sys fix and changed using regedit the DWORD value of Start from 2 to 3. No help. Changed Start value back to 2.

Noting from the other topic in this forum that the bug may be related to OneDrive, I refreshed the OneDrive connection -> the Designer application started without the BSOD for the first time. Now the AD causes BSOD sometimes when trying to open or save files from the OneDrive.  

Many users have complained similar situations and the response has been similar - AD cannot crash the system. But that is exactly what it does. I have not experienced BSOD with any other applications in three years with my business laptops. Disabling the OneDrive is not an option as I have to make my living with this system. The OS is a fresh install for the new laptop, so I cannot remove any earlier updates.

What could be the root cause for the cldflt.sys error? Which register values should work with AD? Could this be related to the response time from OneDrive?

I tried saving directly to c: drive -> BSOD everytime. But KB4517389 does relate to fixing latency issues and cldflt.sys is a Cloud Files Mini Filter Driver. Perhaps this is a latency issue on cloud files after all?

One thread on cldflt.sys suggested a workaround for disabling autosave on all Office applications.

Update to my situation. I have uninstalled all KB updates made to my 3-week-old laptop (not many), uninstalled the Designer once more and reinstalled Designer from MS Store. Now the computer crashes almost immediately when the Designer is started. Any more suggestions to try?

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly, I am having just he same issue with Surface hardware and similar path; from the Store trial version working fine to complete BSOD after purchasing the full version.

One workaround is to disable the cldflt.sys for the time when using Designer:

sc stop cldflt.sys

And start again after returning to normal duties:

sc start cldflt.sys

That has been the only way to get the Affinity Designer even running. Very frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

I likewise had this same problem, but after a few hours found a solution!

Despite the presence of the OneDrive image icon on lower right, as well as the presence of cldflt.sys in c:\windows\system32\driver folder ... you must ensure that the OneDrive App is installed on your system.  Simply click the "Microsoft Store" icon, type "OneDrive" in search box, download, launch, reboot. 

That's all that's needed to end the BSOD!

Thanks for the tip, Scott! Unfortunately, that did not solve my BSOD.

The crashing point has evolved over time, initially I could not get the Designer even running. Now I get the BSOD when saving (with save as...) a file.

The Designer store app version has clearly some different code than anywhere else. Many tend to blame Microsoft's updates for the BSOD as other applications have caused BSODs after the update. But who knows... perhaps somewhere exists an open source library that Serif's developers have been using to get the Designer into the MS Store? Other parties may have used that same faulty library causing the problem.

Serif's responses on this forum have been just shrugging the problem towards Microsoft. I am still waiting for a permanent solution, either from Serif or Microsoft.

I wonder if has anyone with Surface and MS Store app purchase got the Designer up and running?

5 hours ago, HarriK said:

…Unfortunately, that did not solve my BSOD.

Try un-installing and re-installing the OneDrive desktop application.

1) Go to [Windows Settings App > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates] and ensure you're on the latest version of Windows (which is currently Windows 10 1909, 18363.476 for non-insiders).

2) Go to [Windows Settings App > Apps > Apps & Features] and uninstall the OneDrive desktop application by selecting it and clicking on the "Uninstall" button.  The desktop application will be called "Microsoft OneDrive" (the Store app version is just called "OneDrive").

001.thumb.png.08f80287543f7bded1510f7beb756458.png

3) Restart the computer

4) Download and install the latest version of the OneDrive desktop application (which is currently 19.192.0926.0012 (November 13, 2019)).  The download link can be found on the below release notes page under "Rolling out | Production Ring":

https://support.office.com/article/onedrive-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0

5) If the issue still continues after re-installing OneDrive, check if you have any other cloud file syncing software installed (such as Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud), etc.).  If you do, try un-installing and re-installing them one-by-one with the latest versions available as well.

Thanks for the instructions. I already tried all following steps, did not help.

- uninstalled the OneDrive

- restart, test, BSOD

- installed OneDrive from the Store

- restart, test, BSOD

- uninstalled OneDrive from the Store

- restart, test, BSOD

- installed OneDrive for Business, on the Outlook 365 package

- restart, test, BSOD

My laptop is on a hosted business environment, so I may not have found all possible cloud systems. I'd rather not touch on the Sharepoint... Complete system reinstall would take two days (due to some of the special work related software), so that is not an option.  I have already spent too much time on trying to solve this issue, it is smarter to wait for updates that fix the issue or use the expensive alternative that does not break my workflow. 

From https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrives-cldfltsys-causing-ntfssys-bsod/d2ef7f16-9e45-406f-95ca-6e595271e6d9?auth=1#&page=1 you might try opening a Windows command prompt and entering the following commands:

sc config cldflt start=disabled
sc stop cldflt

(you can put it back with a sc config cldflt start=automatic  if you choose)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You can try it ,转发自 Microsoft 社区

But it did for me.  So the fix is pretty basic - open regedit and look for 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\CldFlt

Change the 'Start' entry value from the default value of 2 to 4.

Reboot your computer.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:38 AM, HarriK said:

The crashing point has evolved over time, initially I could not get the Designer even running. Now I get the BSOD when saving (with save as...) a file.

The Designer store app version has clearly some different code than anywhere else. Many tend to blame Microsoft's updates for the BSOD as other applications have caused BSODs after the update. But who knows... perhaps somewhere exists an open source library that Serif's developers have been using to get the Designer into the MS Store? Other parties may have used that same faulty library causing the problem.

Serif's responses on this forum have been just shrugging the problem towards Microsoft. I am still waiting for a permanent solution, either from Serif or Microsoft.

I wonder if has anyone with Surface and MS Store app purchase got the Designer up and running?

Not me. And I cannot get a refund from the MS store either. 

On 12/3/2019 at 5:28 PM, 倪森水 said:

You can try it ,转发自 Microsoft 社区

But it did for me.  So the fix is pretty basic - open regedit and look for 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\CldFlt

Change the 'Start' entry value from the default value of 2 to 4.

Reboot your computer.

Before I change values in the registry and mess up a stable system: what is the function of cldflt.sys? 

3 hours ago, GerardLakke said:

Before I change values in the registry and mess up a stable system: what is the function of cldflt.sys? 

It's a cloud driver assistant, used at least for OneDrive. I'm not sure if it's used by other cloud functions like Google Drive or Dropbox.

But rather than mucking about in the registry, you should be able to accomplish the same using commands as I mentioned above. From a command prompt:

sc stop cldflt

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's a cloud driver assistant, used at least for OneDrive. I'm not sure if it's used by other cloud functions like Google Drive or Dropbox.

But rather than mucking about in the registry, you should be able to accomplish the same using commands as I mentioned above. From a command prompt:

sc stop cldflt

Tried that suggestion, and then I could start AF without BSOD. But I als had no longer access to files in my OneDrive folders, so that is definitely not an option.

The fixes that are being mentioned in the posts are not installed on my sytem (??), which is completely oup to date. So deinstalling those isnt posible, and no solution either. 

Im starting to regret buying AF and AD in de MS Store in a BlackFriday heat of the moment. 

Hi @GerardLakke, I was in a very similar position to you, hamstringing OneDrive isn't a reasonable option for me.

I contacted MS Store via Chat support and requested a refund, stating I'd tried the support channel here with no official help offered, stating that the SW is in-operable and requested a refund which they did process for me.

I had initially contacted the Affinity Refund email and they directed me to MS Store so do press your case with them.

Good luck, this may be something deep in Microsoft's code but I personally am having no issues with any other applciation I use and Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are running fine so I'm forced to use them for the time being.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:38 AM, HarriK said:

I purchased Affinity Photo from MS Store over a year ago and it worked smoothly with Windows Version 1809. Since I upgraded to Windows Version 1903 on August 2019, I ran into problems with Windows update KB 4517389 that gave the BSOD right after installing the update on Nov. 11, 2019, and most recently as of Dec. 14, 2019 with Windows update KB 4524570 that shut down the AF Photo program (without BSOD) while saving a file in save-as mode to ".afphoto". In both instances, upon uninstalling these 2 updates, KB4517389 & KB 4524570,  AF Photo worked fine again. Fom now on, I will try to delay any MS-issued Cumulative Windows Updates for Version 1903 as long as possible until a permanent fix is availble. I don't whose fault is it but kind of suspecting it's from MS!