You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

See Pic attached.

After unsuccessfully trying to replicate a chrome layer style in Designer I was about to give up and chalk this up to Designer just doesn't have the goods, BUT IT DOES! After studying the differences in both apps, I saw that a layer style in PS is going to be created differently in AP or AD. I studied why I wasn't getting the chromey effect in AD, I realized that PS has a gloss contour built into their bevel panel, and AD doesn't so I was stumped a while. Soon realized that gloss contour is almost the same or same as a curves adjustment so after tinkering more I came up with this cool chrome CUSTOM effect! AFFINITY ROCKS!!!

post-733-0-59978900-1436284938_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is fantastic. I have realized that when you look into Affinity with a Ps mentality you can enter soon into a discouragement. To learn a tool is not simply to get fixed eto a tutorial. Your needs go farther and you must enterninto a discovery of an skill that is so personal. I love to see how things are being done in others. Would love to read a tutorial of your magnificent chrome style.nIngot a pretty nice stailess steel style myself with only the gradient tool. Yours is really magnificent, with those reflctive shades from the deep red background. Thanks.

Rosa

Wow! Tipping my hat, Sir! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how you could know the "gloss contour is almost the same or same as a curves adjustment"... Just brilliant!

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Oh my! That IS nice! Thank you evtonic3.

But I realize I'll need some training to obtain the effect you got: even by importing your custom style, I am a billion light-years away from the same quality as your work. Mine looks like dull tin compared to your gorgeous result.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

My humble beginner’s ‘workflow’:

Spend time finding my way around Affinity Designer.

Spend time reading the forum to learn all that I can.

Replicate/imitate what others have done.

Use this newfound information in creating my own work.

Were it not for this forum and the kind and sharing people here my workflow might very well be:

Spend time finding my way around Affinity Designer.

Do some doodles.

Get frustrated at my lack of progress.

Give up.

Thank you evtonic3 for sharing this file, and to all of the others who have also done so on this forum.

sumus quasi nani gigantum humeris insidentes - Bernard of Chartres

If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton

Oh my! That IS nice! Thank you evtonic3.

But I realize I'll need some training to obtain the effect you got: even by importing your custom style, I am a billion light-years away from the same quality as your work. Mine looks like dull tin compared to your gorgeous result.

I can't get it to work either. I opened the file in Affinity, and I went to Edit> create style and it's just get very dull.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(I changed the font to Timeless, I dont have that font you used.)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame, make sure you have duplicated the fx (bevel and 3d) and the curves adjustment layer, both are required for this effect.  In fact do a copy paste of the curves adjustment layer and a copy paste style of the fx the first time, until you play with it a bit.  

Also the curves adjustment layer needs to be attached to a layer above the text/object for the effect to work.  Don't attach it directly to the text/object layer.  I don't know how evtonic3 ever figured this out in the first place!  The fx of this top layer just provides the drop shadow to the text.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Oh yes, the font isn't important.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Mike, thank you so much for your respond!

I'm sorry.. that's too complicated for me.

If I make a background of my own and a text.. what do I do next?

Or do I do what you describe to the file I downloaded.

In that/any case could you describe it in 1-2-3 baby steps?

I'm very sorry to be so daft, but I have no background what so ever to understand your explanation.

I'm sure the good people in this forum are used to members with advanced knowledge of editing and all the terms regarding.

Now that the newbies are purchasing the app, you will encounter more  ignorants like me.. ;) 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame, with your text/object open in AD.  Open the sample file from evtonic3.  Expand the layers in both. 

In evtonic3's file select the layer with the text then press and hold the cmd key and press C (to copy it into the clipboard).

In your file click on the text/object layer, press and hold the cmd and the shift then press V (to copy the fx into your drawing).  You should see the little fx in your layer to the right of the layer's name.

In evtonic3's file select the layer saying Curves Alignment, to select only it actually click on the icon for that line.  Layer1 will NOT be shown as selected.  Press and hold the cmd key and press C (to copy it into the clipboard).

In your file with the text/object selected press cmd + V, you will see a Curves Alignment layer added above your text/object.

At this point you should have the effect.  I suggest you drag the icon of the Curves Alignment up and drop it into the Icon of the layer above your text/object.

To further this effect with your layer selected click the Adjustments (half moon) icon at the bottom of the layers panel.  Select HSL, then play with the sliders.  Especially the Saturation & Luminosity.

Notes:

In place of the cmd + C you can use the menu selection Edit -> Copy.

In place of the cmd + V you can use the menu selection Edit -> Paste.

In place of the cmd + shift + V you can use the menu selection Edit -> Paste Style (not just paste, needs to be Paste Style).

In place of clicking on the Adjustments (half moon) icon at the bottom of the layers panel you can use the menu selection Layer ->

New Adjustment -> HSL.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...