You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto and Catalina opening RAW file crashing.

Nazario

Almost every time I open a RAW file since updating to Catalina APhoto crashes to desktop! No matter how I open it (double clicking from finder or choosing open through dialogues) it crashes more often than not. This happens on two Macs with everything updated.

So ive had a little play. It crashes with any RAW format. I think ive also determined how to crash it too.

Basically if you open a RAW image then choose cancel top left and confirm with Yes. Instead of closing the image, the image disappears but the window remains albeit blank. So you click the close button in the top left to get rid. If you then try to open a RAW file again thats when it crashes.

Crash log attached.

crash report.txt

• Staff
On 10/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, Nazario said:

Hi MEB,

Just out of interest have you managed to replicate the crash using the method above? 

Hi Nazario,
Thanks for the crash report. No, I still can't make it crash here following the steps you described.

@ Réjean Cloutier,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for the additional info/report. Do you mind attaching one of the ARW files that triggers the crash please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private, thanks.

Hmm.. ok. Well this happens on two separate iMacs. I used various RAW files from https://rawsamples.ch/index.php/en/ to test different types.

I notice on a non Catalina Mac that cancelling of the RAW process also leaves a blank window which is odd behaviour as you then have to manually close it afterwards but at least it doesn't crash when you try to open another RAW file afterwards. Should the image and window close or just the image disappear from the window when you click 'cancel'? 

The video attached shows the blank window stay open. Which in my opinion is odd behaviour. Not sure if thats by design, if so its more extra clicks for the user that aren't needed. Anyhoo.. It's after this point on my Catalina Macs that if I try to open a RAW file after this thats when it crashes.

• Staff

Hi Nazario, Réjean Cloutier,
I've reproduced this here and i'm logging the issue to be looked at. If you switch back to the regular windowed mode (untick Windows > Separated Mode) until we fix this, it shouldn't crash. Thanks for your support.

I will update this thread as soon as i have some news.

• 3 months later...