Because of Photo’s transition from 1.7 to 1.8, I wanted to address I bug which I have been putting off for a while now. Rather than me trying to explain it, see the video below.

Edited by Fleuron
Grammar

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Fleuron.

I don't think that's a bug, just the program working in a way you don't understand or don't expect.

It's easier to see what's happening if you switch the document display from px to inches. You can do that by right clicking on the px at the intersection of the two rulers if you have them displayed, or with the View Tool (the hand) selected you can change the units on the Context Toolbar.

Once you're seeing the document in inches, it should become clear that when you have chosen to Resample, Affinity Photo is keeping the document the same physical (print) size (e.g., 8 x 10 inches), which requires increasing or decreasing the total number of pixels as you change the DPI.

If you want to keep the number of pixels constant, rather than keeping the document size constant, just uncheck the Resample box before you adjust the DPI.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

But when he decrease the DPI, shouldn't the amount of pixel decrease? The reference should be the original size, and increasing or decreasing this amount depending of the DPI if resample is checked.

Did you read this article about  learning understanding DPI ?

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-dpi/

Hubert

Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481   - Beta 1.8.0.486

Windows 10 Home  1909 (build 18363.476) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)