You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font checking with imported items in Publisher

I would like to see Publisher have the ability to check for missing fonts within imported files.

Using InDesign as an example, you get an alert of missing fonts from within a document and within imported art as well. Seems you only get an alert of missing fonts in the main Publisher doc. Neither Font or Resource Manager show it either. 

I got bitten by this today when I sent a pdf proof of an ad program to a client, only to have him call to tell me several pages looked strange. That's when I figured out what happened. I can't really expect that businesses that submit ads as a pdf know to embed the fonts first, so this wouldn't happen, but there you are.

My quick solution was to outline the fonts in the original document and export the art again. Not a best-practice move in my book, but until I learn Publisher better, that's what I'll do.

An addition to yesterday....

Today I drag/dropped a pdf on the pasteboard of my Publisher doc, and I did get a dialog of missing fonts, and options for which pages to load. No such dialog on using the Place command. Looks like a bug, so I'll post this there as well.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:44 PM, TomJr said:

I can't really expect that businesses that submit ads as a pdf know to embed the fonts first, so this wouldn't happen, but there you are.

The problem is more basic, I'm afraid: Publisher in its current form cannot use embedded fonts in PDF fonts when placing a PDF inside a document. Your client may have correctly embedded the fonts after all, but even if they had, the fonts of the PDF would not show up correctly when placed in your document unless you also had the same fonts installed on your system.

This is a rather serious limitation, and the developers have expressed the intention to come to a solution eventually, but I am not aware that any indication has been given as to how soon.