You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to insert an index into an Affinity Publisher document, but this error is displayed:

"Cannot insert multiple indexes. You cannot insert more than one index in a document."

How do I find and delete the index the document apparently has? I do not see it on any page in the document. Earlier I made some test index entries, which I do not now want to use. The index appears to update but is nowhere to be found.

• Staff

Hi AFY7 :)

Please go to View>Studio>Index to see, add and delete your current Index marks. For more information on indexing please check out the following tutorial!

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337458844

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Dan,

Thanks, but I have not made myself clear. The issue is this:

1. I cannot insert the index, because I get this error message: "Cannot insert multiple indexes. You cannot insert more than one index in a document."
  2. However, the index appears nowhere in the book.
  3. Publisher has no way to find or delete the index.

I think this is a bug in the program. If you insert an index and then delete the pages that contain the index and then save your document, Publisher continues to believe the index is inserted in the document. Therefore, if you now wish to insert the index on  a page or pages, it is impossible, because Publisher does not allow you to insert multiple indexes. At this point you have no choice but to start from scratch by creating a new document.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this.

Could you please confirm, what are you trying to add as an Index in your document? How are you adding this Index please?

As a test I have added 'medical' as an index into your document provided via email and this was added without issue/error message.

19 hours ago, AFY7 said:

If you insert an index and then delete the pages that contain the index and then save your document, Publisher continues to believe the index is inserted in the document.

With the Index Studio open you can Update the Index by using the following icon at the top of the Studio - 

image.png

Or alternatively delete an index by using the Trash can icon in the same location.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Dan,

I appreciate your efforts to help me, but I don't think you understand the issue.

I know how to use the index panel. I can add index entries and delete them. This is not the problem.

You will find that it is IMPOSSIBLE to insert the completed INDEX into the document.

Here is my challenge to you:

1. Delete all current index entries.
  2. Create one or two index entries.
  3. Insert the index into the document.

You will find that THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. You will receive this error: "Cannot insert multiple indexes. You cannot insert more than one index in a document."

You will also find it is IMPOSSIBLE to find the index that Publisher says is in the document.

• Staff

My sincerest apologies, I've since been able to replicate this issue - it appears as though your Index has been added to your Master Page 'IndexFirst'. 

Although you have Index Topics set in the Index Studio, none of these are marked, meaning your Index is currently appearing empty.
I've spoken with our QA team and they agree that we could implement a special character of sorts, to indicate this - as it's certainly not clear currently.

If you select and delete the 4 frame text objects on your IndexFirst master page, you'll find you're able to insert the index anywhere in your document, without seeing the previous error message - however do bear in mind that before you've marked any of your Index entries, the Index will appear blank.

I hope this helps!

On 10/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, Dan C said:

I've spoken with our QA team and they agree that we could implement a special character of sorts, to indicate this - as it's certainly not clear currently.

What about a "go to index" option somewhere in the UI, like maybe as a button in the Index panel? Even better, also include that as a button in the error window.

I could be misunderstanding the issue but it seems to me that adding yet another special character to the UI is not going to be of much help if you can't easily find the page where the index starts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
3 hours ago, R C-R said:

What about a "go to index" option somewhere in the UI, like maybe as a button in the Index panel? Even better, also include that as a button in the error window.

I'll log this as a suggestion, although I'm aware that our devs are mindful that we don't wish to clutter the UI without need - but I can certainly see the use case for this option!

There is a very simple, very useful, and very inconspicuous modification that would address 90% of this issue. Simply do not allow an index to exist on a page or master page if none of the entries are marked. I think my problem arose because I had edited the text on pages extensively, and the text originally marked to create index entries had been deleted. So my index was inserted but "invisible."

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I'll log this as a suggestion, although I'm aware that our devs are mindful that we don't wish to clutter the UI without need - but I can certainly see the use case for this option!

I understand about not wanting to clutter up the UI but there is a lot of unused space along the top of the Index panel where one more button could be added without adding much clutter:

index.jpg.cf17814a8212ef6f9e2d85af1a386b5c.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

At first I put the Index at the end of my book, about on page 220. I inserted a TOC somewhere on page VI. Everything fine, it all worked okidoky. Then I accidentally pushed a wrong key, and now my index displays on page VI in stead on page 220. My TOC is pushed out of sight. Inserting an Index on page 220 gives the feared error of "not more than 1 index". Deleting the index on page VI is impossible. Yes, i can delete the text, but the Index keeps returning on that page. What do I do. I do not want to makeover my book from scratch.

1. I have tried this: making new masterpages, deleting the old ones. Applying the new ones. That doesn't help.

2. dragging the Index from page VI to page 220. It lives there beautifully. But when I apply "update", the Index keep appearing on page VI. Now I have 2 Indexes, one old  and one updated in the wrong spot. I go crazy.

1 hour ago, Louis design said:

At first I put the Index at the end of my book, about on page 220. I inserted a TOC somewhere on page VI. Everything fine, it all worked okidoky. Then I accidentally pushed a wrong key, and now my index displays on page VI in stead on page 220. My TOC is pushed out of sight. Inserting an Index on page 220 gives the feared error of "not more than 1 index". Deleting the index on page VI is impossible. Yes, i can delete the text, but the Index keeps returning on that page. What do I do. I do not want to makeover my book from scratch.

Some questions.

Are the ToC and Index in separate Text Frames? They should be, only because then it is easier to manage.

Have you deleted the text frames, or just the text?

I would delete the text and the frames for both  (if they are in separate frames) then create new text frames for each and try that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The ToC and Index were indeed in a different text frame, to begin with. Why suddenly the Index appeared in the ToC text frame (after an update), I do not know. I have repeatedly deleted the text frame of the ToC, but the Index keeps stubbornly coming back in the new text frame that holds also the recently generated ToC . It is as if the code for ToC is having a fight with the code for Index.

Now I have dragged the Index text frames to the end of the book. When I update, the Index updates there. Next I have made a new text frame op page VI and have generated a ToC there. So far so good. Now, when I update the Index, it again appears on the same page as the ToC, which has completely disappeared.

My solution: I leave the Index on page 220 and stop generating the ToC. I have deleted the ToC and plan to fill those 2 pages by hand on a later date. A very ugly solution, but I hope it will work.

Thanks for your concern, Louis

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, Dan C said:

Here we are THREE YEARS later and the SAME problem continues. I'm convinced - after spending many, many hours indexing several books - that there is a bug. When I add a new index in a document and add a TOC, then update the index, it replaces the TOC with the index and the index at the back of the book cannot be updated.  When the text frames containing the original index are deleted and the frames with index (that was the TOC) and pasted to the back of the book - it cannot be updated. 

When all is deleted - all text frames that had the index and and TOC, then NO index can be added.  I work with Afpub 60 hours a week so I can be pretty sure I'm not adding accidental markers off the pages. 

At the very least, there needs to be a Go to Index, as was suggested in 2019!

If not - how to find the errant marker?  FaR for ALL Paragraph and Character Index format markers (using wheel) finds nothing.

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Dennison.

8 minutes ago, Dennison said:

When I add a new index in a document and add a TOC, then update the index, it replaces the TOC with the index and the index at the back of the book cannot be updated.  When the text frames containing the original index are deleted and the frames with index (that was the TOC) and pasted to the back of the book - it cannot be updated. 

This isn't something I'm able to replicate here currently, if this is something you can reproduce then I'd recommend creating a new Bug Report in the relevant section of the Forums, so our team can investigate further :)

I've reported it before - only to be told I have errant code somewhere. only to have it happen again nd again. So much so that I have to do the Index before the TOC.

at the moment all work has stopped because of the bug in the indexing.  The TOC and the Index text frames have all been deleted. The Master pages for these hasve no text frames - but strill can't add an Index.  Different year - same bug!

• Staff

As mentioned, please create a new bug post with your documents (or request a link for upload) and our team will be able to investigate further :)

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Colin Steele said:

Exact same problem here.  Can't delete; can't add.  Update idx -> replaces TOC.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please see the post just above yours, where a Serif staff member has indicated the best way to proceed. Create a new bug topic, provide the requested information, and if possible provide sample files (or ask for a private upload link if needed).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1