You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because access to the file was lost.

1 hour ago, sifatboy said:

Need Unicode Support for Bangla Language.

This thread is about saving to external drives, so your post about lack of Unicode support for Bangla doesn’t belong here. (None of the version 1 Affinity apps offer Unicode support for any Indic languages, and that hasn’t changed for version 2).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 6 months later...

HI! I'm having the same problem with affinity publisher V2.

Now is like the 10th time it happens today. A already move the file from the iCloud to my desktop. But it does not work. Can someone help me fix this please?

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 2.06.17 PM.png

9 minutes ago, CarlaZ said:

Now is like the 10th time it happens today. A already move the file from the iCloud to my desktop. But it does not work. Can someone help me fix this please?

I suggest making sure it's in a folder on your machine that is not managed by iCloud or any other cloud service. The folder named Desktop is probably not a good choice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Desktop is synced to iCloud by default. Create a folder in /Users/<username>/ for your project documents if you want to avoid iCloud.

I already do that but the problems continues now with this error:

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 2.28.58 PM.png

13 minutes ago, CarlaZ said:

Did you try copying the file to the folder that is not managed by iCloud before trying to open that local copy?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Did you try copying the file to the folder that is not managed by iCloud before trying to open that local copy?

Exactly. I copied the file to the local drive, change the name and tried to open it when the error appears.

3 minutes ago, CarlaZ said:

Exactly. I copied the file to the local drive, change the name and tried to open it when the error appears.

What does Finder show for the file's location for "Where:" via "Get Info"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 6/28/2023 at 7:30 PM, CarlaZ said:

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 2.28.58 PM.png

If you've been unable to retrieve a backup copy of the document, please send me a link to the file via DM. I will see if we can get it recovered. I can also provide a Dropbox link if needed.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Samuel Mattos said:

If only Designer had the option to save as a new file.

As it is now, that (usually?) isn't possible because (usually?) not all of the file is in memory, so anything still in the file but not in memory can't be saved via a "Save As..."

But they are working on fixing or at least improving that but there is no ETA for when it will be available.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Samuel Mattos said:

It could at least not close, and give the chance to the user to do something, like freeing up space or reestablishing the lost connection. But it's a death sentence, cause it works perfectly fine till the moment you hit save.

The 2.2 beta has changes intended to improve this, as mentioned here:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, Samuel Mattos said:

It could at least not close...

As I understand it, in the retail version the reason it has been designed to close is because changes to a saved file's contents are serialized, written to the end of the file on each save until some threshold is reached, when the whole file is rewritten & the serialization process starts again. Also, the entire file is not loaded into memory when the file is opened, so only part of the file's contents may be in memory when access to the file is lost. So when that happens, there is no way to save anything that is not already in memory.

It will be interesting to see how this is mitigated in the 2.2 betas....

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with Affinity.

Example:  I open and start work on a document in Publisher.  The document is created and saved to our server.  I leave the document open and lock my computer for the night.  The next day I open my computer and start to work on the document (already open and waiting).  When I try to save that work I will get the message "Access to the file was lost" and the program will shut down.  I have no other option but allow it.

I reopen the document by simply looking up the doc in Publisher's  "recent files" and there it is, but it is salvaged and does not contain the newest changes I made.  So, I make those changes again and go to save it.  It then tells me the doc is "read-only".  I am forced to change the name doing a save-as).

This happens on a regular basis under these circumstances.  The issue has never happened with any other program.  Even when I have other docs (of other programs open), they do not behave in this way.  Only Affinity.

Other than the obvious close my document at the end of day, is there any reason for this to occur?   Thanks in advance, great minds.

• Staff
On 9/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, APro said:

I have the same problem with Affinity.

Example:  I open and start work on a document in Publisher.  The document is created and saved to our server.  I leave the document open and lock my computer for the night.  The next day I open my computer and start to work on the document (already open and waiting).  When I try to save that work I will get the message "Access to the file was lost" and the program will shut down.  I have no other option but allow it.

I reopen the document by simply looking up the doc in Publisher's  "recent files" and there it is, but it is salvaged and does not contain the newest changes I made.  So, I make those changes again and go to save it.  It then tells me the doc is "read-only".  I am forced to change the name doing a save-as).

This happens on a regular basis under these circumstances.  The issue has never happened with any other program.  Even when I have other docs (of other programs open), they do not behave in this way.  Only Affinity.

Other than the obvious close my document at the end of day, is there any reason for this to occur?   Thanks in advance, great minds.

Might be worth trying our latest beta builds. Our developers have improved how our apps access files when network connectivity is lost.

https://affinity.serif.com/affinity-beta-program/

i also had this problem plaguing me for a while in affinity designer, but a tried running affinity designer as an administrator and that resolved the problem.

Now i can save and export my files without getting this problem.

steps:

1. locate the affinity app you have a problem with,
  2. right click on the app icon,
  3. choose the option "run as an administrator" from the multiples choices you get.
  4. and you're done.

this worked for me, and i hope it does for you to😉.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, bobo_andema said:

i also had this problem plaguing me for a while in affinity designer, but a tried running affinity designer as an administrator and that resolved the problem.

Now i can save and export my files without getting this problem.

steps:

1. locate the affinity app you have a problem with,
  2. right click on the app icon,
  3. choose the option "run as an administrator" from the multiples choices you get.
  4. and you're done.

this worked for me, and i hope it does for you to😉.

I'll definetly try it. Thank you

• Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2023 at 7:15 AM, sifatboy said:

Unicode Bengali font not working properly. Broken words.

Again - how does this relate to the "Save failed because access to the file was lost." topic?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.