You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because access to the file was lost.

30 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

After it failed to save the regular way I did try:

-file

-save as

-named the file and put .aftemplate at the end, the drop down box only had .afdesign and .aftemplate as an option

I am not really sure where it is on Windows but with Mac I would go to File > Export as Template...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I was able to get this working on windows. I'm not certain, but think the culprit was a failed windows update. I'm using windows 11, but while poking around affinity config files, I noticed a property for the .net version. I remembered that I had a repeated failed windows update for .net. I had to delete the update cache and run them again. After they completed, the file saving went back to normal for all affinity programs.

To check if this is your issue, open the start menu, type "check for updates", and hit enter. if you have a failed update either there on for "Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8..." you may be in the same boat.

Here are the possible steps to getting repeated failed updates working. https://windows101tricks.com/windows-11-update-failed/

11 hours ago, bradlee said:

I was able to get this working on windows. I'm not certain, but think the culprit was a failed windows update. I'm using windows 11, but while poking around affinity config files, I noticed a property for the .net version. I remembered that I had a repeated failed windows update for .net. I had to delete the update cache and run them again. After they completed, the file saving went back to normal for all affinity programs.

To check if this is your issue, open the start menu, type "check for updates", and hit enter. if you have a failed update either there on for "Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8..." you may be in the same boat.

Here are the possible steps to getting repeated failed updates working. https://windows101tricks.com/windows-11-update-failed/

I installed the new cumulative update (KB5008353) and it fixed the file save issue for me. After a restart it also cleared up my windows update issues with KB5009469 failing. Just had to click Retry under windows update.

How to get this update?  It will be available through windows update soon (next scheduled patch Tuesday) but you can get it now via the Microsoft Update Catalog. Just grab the correct version for your PC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

did you confirm windows update has all the updates installed and you have the latest versions of Affinity software?  How about the two updates I mentioned above?

I'm using Windows 11 first release preview channel version. Not updated, But Affinity softwares are updated. I will try to update my windows. Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, sifatboy said:

I'm using Windows 11 first release preview channel version. Not updated, But Affinity softwares are updated. I will try to update my windows. Thanks in advance.

I needed those knowledgebase patches for it to work. They didn't install through windows update at the time and I had to manually install them as noted.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
6 hours ago, Capture It Photography said:

Any of the mods wanna tackle this one? 'Cause it's really annoying to have this happen after spending 20 min with delicate edits.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 10.43.21 PM (2).png

If you've updated to macOS Ventura you could be having this issue: 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same issue with no apparent reason... I even re-installed the software and no matter how many times I save the file as a different one, the error comes back every time and work is lost.

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 4.16.46.png

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 4.17.24.png

Edited by kempkes
add screenshots

• Staff
52 minutes ago, kempkes said:

I'm having the exact same issue with no apparent reason... I even re-installed the software and no matter how many times I save the file as a different one, the error comes back every time and work is lost.

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 4.16.46.png

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 4.17.24.png

Can you tell me which location you're trying to save the document to?

Same problem, this is really frustrating in the end I had to copy and paste into publisher that was the only way I could save the file.

So I've now found an embedded document inside of the file seems to be causing problems. I've pasted contents of the embedded document rather than just embedding it and I'm finding that it's now saving then if that's of any help to anybody.

Edited by paulandsoulefe
Added more info

It's, unfortunately still there in AP2....

My workaround has been to save the files to my desktop and then transfer them into the session folder in Capture One, but it's extra steps that I shouldn't have to take.

Would be lovely if there was a fix for this - it's just derailing my workflow. Especially if I forget to transfer the file first and loose an hour of work.....

Thanks

• Staff
On 11/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, JoeyP said:

@Leigh Any update on this yet? This is taking a toll on anyone who uses the software full-time. Really exhausting.

We're expecting the issue saving to exFAT, FAT32 and FAT external drives to be fixed in the next update for both V1 and V2. No ETA for when that will be but hopefully not long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
10 hours ago, Capture It Photography said:

@Leigh Hello, hope you're well. Any update you're able to provide on a timeline for this fix? Is it looking like before or after the new year? Would love to do away with the workaround sooner than later. 

Thanks!

This should help: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/169443-fixed-saving-to-an-external-drive-gives-failed-to-save-document-error-on-macos-ventura/&do=findComment&comment=1007308

On 12/15/2022 at 4:34 AM, Leigh said:

So it's saying a patch is coming for V2 but doesn't give a timeline - unless I've missed something?

Thanks!