You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because access to the file was lost.

14 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Haven't you tried any more convenient/preferable folder for storing users' work files?

Changing location doesn't work. Tried other locations on both internal and external media and the error persists

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

System Manufacturer: Acer | System Model: Nitro AN515-54 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406) | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz | Memory: 16384MB RAM | Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | Manufacturer: NVIDIA | Chip type: GeForce RTX 2060

11 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

Changing location doesn't work. Tried other locations on both internal and external media and the error persists

If you change the location for an already damaged file, it is quite clear that simply changing the location will not fix this error. I was more concerned with the general use of directories, which are primarily intended for storing user files - which the Desktop is definitely not. Certain/UAC restrictions may be applied to these specific directories in the OS, which may complicate access to the files located there.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

If you change the location for an already damaged file, it is quite clear that simply changing the location will not fix this error. I was more concerned with the general use of directories, which are primarily intended for storing user files - which the Desktop is definitely not. Certain/UAC restrictions may be applied to these specific directories in the OS, which may complicate access to the files located there.

The damaged files are showing up with no data (0 KB file size) Changing the location doesn't do anything unfortunately, on opening the files I get a failed to open file error. I also tried creating new documents in both Photo and Designer however on saving out a .afphoto or .afdesign file to any location on either my external or internal drives the  "Save failed because access to the file was lost" error persists. I also tried running both applications as administrator but still the error persists.  I have been using the applications with no issues till today.

image.png

image.png

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

System Manufacturer: Acer | System Model: Nitro AN515-54 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406) | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz | Memory: 16384MB RAM | Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | Manufacturer: NVIDIA | Chip type: GeForce RTX 2060

13 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

the  "Save failed because access to the file was lost" error persists

However, another type of error is displayed - Unsupported file type.

14 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

I have been using the applications with no issues till today.

Does opening previously created files work?

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I was more concerned with the general use of directories, which are primarily intended for storing user files - which the Desktop is definitely not.

Only as a side note for Mac users reading this topic, for Macs there is nothing wrong with saving document files to the Desktop folder -- there is actually a Desktop folder for each user account, & by default it should have the same access privileges as the other standard Mac ones like Documents, Pictures, or Movies.

It is not unusual for Mac users to save to their Desktop folder for convenience & later to move the files to some other folder to keep the Desktop tidy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Only as a side note for Mac users reading this topic, for Macs there is nothing wrong with saving document files to the Desktop folder -- there is actually a Desktop folder for each user account, & by default it should have the same access privileges as the other standard Mac ones like Documents, Pictures, or Movies.

It is not unusual for Mac users to save to their Desktop folder for convenience & later to move the files to some other folder to keep the Desktop tidy.

Could you make an official recommendation from Apple that the appropriate and recommended way to save work files is to save them to the Desktop, and only then to specific user and work directories? Just because someone does something doesn't mean it's an optimal and recommended procedure. Even in Windows, anything can be stored on the Desktop, it's just one of the system directories whose contents are displayed on the desktop / monitor background. Which is exactly why over time (in various versions of the OS, with the implementation of UAC and other ransomware protections), began to work with and approach their data more carefully.

14 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Could you make an official recommendation from Apple that the appropriate and recommended way to save work files is to save them to the Desktop, and only then to specific user and work directories? Just because someone does something doesn't mean it's an optimal and recommended procedure. Even in Windows, anything can be stored on the Desktop, it's just one of the system directories whose contents are displayed on the desktop / monitor background. Which is exactly why over time (in various versions of the OS, with the implementation of UAC and other ransomware protections), began to work with and approach their data more carefully.

While I share your view that it is best practice to not use desktop to store huge number of files, this comment deviates from the actual issue.

There are quite many recent threads concerning this issue, and it happens even in those cases where users followed the usual advises like yours (store on internal disk, store in “suitable” folder, check anti-virus or cloud sync apps accessing the folder etc).

I hope Affinity staff steps to analyze the issue and find a solution.

My personal approach to tackle such issues would be to use Microsoft Sysinternals Suite (process monitor) to collect a full trace of events. But this would require to have 2 almost identically configured systems, one having the issue, one without. And it is definitely time consuming.

Additional suspects to check:

• Anti-Malware functionality of Windows. If possible, deactivate them temporarily and test again. Includes Defender, and advanced features like folder protection etc.
  • Purchased in MS App Store or Serif Store?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

16 hours ago, Pšenda said:

However, another type of error is displayed - Unsupported file type.

Does opening previously created files work?

That other error of "Unsupported File Type" comes when opening the 0 kb files created when trying to save and getting the "Save failed because access to the file was lost"

However I can open/edit/save .afphoto and .afdesign files previously created and saved before the error appeared.

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

this comment deviates from the actual issue.

Personally, I don't think that comment is completely out of the topic, as you suggest.
Of course, the primary and main reason in the countless cases of lost and damaged files is some, in this case inappropriate, way Affinity has access to the working files and their data, because I have not seen such a massive occurrence anywhere else. However, here in forums where data loss and corruption have been mentioned, the common denominator is often the use of external drives (USB, NAS), the use of inappropriate folders (eg folders for OneDrive), which are somehow managed by the OS and can lead to unwanted collisions, disk failures - even local ones (see eg https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/109354-affinity-designer-file-is-corrupted-suddenly/&do=findComment&comment=875415), etc.
Avoiding these potential problem areas and respecting these few principles will not solve the problem in principle, but it can minimize it. However, let everyone save the files wherever they want - I just dared to mention that they are more suitable for this, and in my opinion potentially less problematic folders.

P.S. By the way - your post about how Serif should use SysInternals to solve the problem of data loss and file corruption is definitely very beneficial for OP and its damaged files.

40 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

That other error of "Unsupported File Type" comes when opening the 0 kb files created when trying to save and getting the "Save failed because access to the file was lost"

Thanks for the info - because I've never had a corrupted file, I'm missing this information.

Just now, Pšenda said:

Thanks for the info - because I've never had a corrupted file, I'm missing this information.

No Problem. This is the first time I am experiencing corrupt files with Photo and Designer. I am no expert and but I will try a few more tests this weekend on different external drives to see if the error persists. I hope the devs are looking into this

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

On 10/19/2019 at 8:13 PM, Longtimer said:

I got the message 'Save failed because access to the file was lost.' Yet the new icon was in the folder with its new name. But that won't open either.

Just look if your antivirus software did update with some kind of anti-ransomware protection. In this case you probably need to give permission to applications to write on your drives.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

P.S. By the way - your post about how Serif should use SysInternals to solve the problem of data loss and file corruption is definitely very beneficial for OP and its damaged files.

I didn’t intend to offense you or your advise. I intended to re-focus that Affinity is accountable to deliver an app that avoids creating such issues in the first place, and not the user‘s fault. If i were impacted by such a catastrophic failure (loosing all my work), i tend to go nuclear if vendor support goes the usual line which could be misinterpreted  its the users fault like „you are holding it wrong“.

The bug might be caused by changes Microsoft did, or by 3rd party software. Never the less, Affinity has a legal and moral responsibility to ensure users who are unaware of such hidden dependencies can use the product.

When mentioning Sysinternals i meant that an willing and experienced end user could do this. As Serif until today seems unable to reproduce the issue on their side, only a user who is affected can do this. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

This thread has currently 38 replys – and 1,500 views, which appears quite many compared to other topics with this number of replies. This leads me to believe that many more users are experiencing these kinds of issues without reporting them. It is also apparent that there is currently only one post from a moderator ( @DWright, asking a question) but no Serif response about ways to avoid or to solve those issues. Therefore I hope the info below may help to shed more light on the circumstances of such errors, in my case definitely not at all an issue of external disks. If Serif knows about a specific protocoll file name I'd appreciate to look for one on my disk, for now it seems such "lost connection" situations don't get logged.

Fortunately I experienced such errors in the recent years very seldom, I have reported it only once before (without a useful result). But last week it occured strangly often within two days and with different documents, one an unsaved 'untitled' APub file, others older .afpubs.

At first the error occured right after I had relinked a missing image resource, then the errors occured while saving several times, whereas the save process bar remained visible but APub freezed. After force-quitting APub (cmd-opt-esc) and reopening, two older files appeared fine, a new layout was lost in its unsaved 'untitled' state. I rebuilt its layout + saved, then, when the issue occured again, this saved file was corrupted and I could not open it. My two daily .afpubs seem not to be affected from any of the errors (130 / 480 pages), both .afpubs become opened on app launch (because I don't close them) and so they were opened during the errors as well but probably not modified in all  moments of errors. – Some of the situations I did screenshot:

844877992_apublostconnectionmustclose1-6.thumb.jpg.069e77e0c6a3028c071aa6b8b29c09d7.jpg

About the computer:
• The macbook has an internal SSD, formatted as APFS with 1 container disk (= 1 partition) and 3 separate 'sub-volumes'. Total 500 GB, ~80 GB free, ~5 GB current TimeMachine snapshots.

1221230714_containervolumes.jpg.f8366bdad2307cc666b1ea3f960b32a3.jpg

• No external disk was/is used for APub or resources, neither saved any on a desktop. The Affinity apps are in the application folder, the Affinity library in the user library folder (both on "macOS"), image resources & .afpubs are on volumes "D_1" / 2 / 3.

• No additional / 3rd-party 'security' app is in use. The macOS internal "XProtect" & "MRT" files get updated if published by Apple. Any such issues only occur within Affinity, not in the finder or another app, crashes included – whereas Affinity apps (APub used daily) are aside Firefox (daily) and Lightroom (occasionally) the only data intensive apps I use.

How / what I tried to fix:

1.  Boot with Safe Mode (shift) and run First Aid: No errors. / Repair user permissions (via Terminal): No errors.

2.  Boot with the hidden Recovery System volume (cmd-R) and repair user permissions (via Terminal). It appeared to run but stopped with the message "Error: –69844 unable to launch the underlying task process". I could not research / find a useful explanation or hint, but this text (not the number) appears to get triggered in various situations and in different apps. I wonder if it can be related in any way to the fact that in this special moment my user folder is not part of the boot volume (recovery)?

3.  Still in recovery mode I run First Aid. It run without errors but reported at the end "Warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device". A research says this message could be caused by local TimeMachine snapshots and then is possibly not a reliable message & may get ignored. That might explain why this error is not shown when running FirstAid booted in Safe Mode.
–> Nevertheless, I rebooted (normal), switched TimeMachine off + deleted all snapshots on the boot volume ("macOS") via TinkerTool System. I rebooted again in recovery mode & run again first aid: No errors.

4.  I booted normally and use APub without any error since, as for years before. I can't tell for sure what was causing them. Because I was able at all to work in APub on these days with errors  I doubt that the permission or overallocation messages are related since both would rather be permanent whereas APub's lost connection occured in some moments only as if some usual working task went wrong just in specific milliseconds.

5.  I searched with the macOS Console.app for a protocoll but could not find any which mentions the moments of a lost connection. If one knows a specific protocol file name and/or folder I would try to look for it again. Note, crash protocolls are from different situations then these issues, crashes happen later / after the lost connection, and must not happen at all after the lost connection issue. In my case they did not but I did force quit APub.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Excellent write-up.

I made a feedback / request to offer a dedicated section to handle similar cases directly by Affinity staff.

feel free to add your vote.

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Could you make an official recommendation from Apple that the appropriate and recommended way to save work files is to save them to the Desktop, and only then to specific user and work directories?

There is no official recommendation from Apple about where it is best to store files -- that is left to the user to decide. But like I said, many users -- including very experienced ones -- often temporarily save documents to the desktop folder, particularly ones they are not sure they want to save for very long, ones for which they have not yet decided what would be the most appropriate folder to place them in, ones they may want to duplicate & add to more than one folder, or any number of other reasons.

Basically, it is somewhat like working at a desk, where several documents may be set aside temporarily before deciding if they should go in a file cabinet or thrown into the trash.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Most reasons still stated today are long obsolete (for Windows):

- the desktop folder is part of the user profile. You can change the profile type from local to roaming profile (probably only for domain joined PCs, not for the home edition) . This will store the user profiles on network shares, and it is transferred via network during logon / logoff. Large documents could cause lots of network unwanted network traffic. If the user logs in from multiple PCs, you could run into versioning issues (last logoff - files overwrite all other versions). So admins need to take care that the Documents folder to another network share, to avoid these issues.

image.png.c30a6fd20f5adf1a9028fc8e3cdaa081.png

- the document / photos / videos etc folders are special system folders: libraries. Libraries were originally designed when introduced (don't know when exactly) to hold a limited number of references to real folders. Directly storing large numbers of files lead to issues - long solved in Windows 10.

image.png.48b492452ab657a19a3a6a4149582b8b.png

48 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I have a few folders on my desktop (macOS) where I tend to keep a few 'often needed' files).

Yes, that is one of the several good reason for saving files to the desktop folder. I do something similar except I usually keep a few folders on the desktop for different current projects & for anything else where I want to make it easy to open several different Finder windows at once that otherwise would be less convenient to do if they were scattered among different user folders.

Affinity Photo 

On 1/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, NotMyFault said:

When mentioning Sysinternals i meant that an willing and experienced end user could do this.

From your discussed post (for sure I quote "I hope Affinity staff steps to analyze the issue and find a solution. My personal approach to tackle such issues would be to use Microsoft Sysinternals Suite (process monitor) to collect a full trace of events. But this would require to have 2 almost identically configured systems, one having the issue, one without."), I definitely didn't get the impression that it was a "call to users". Also because these users with problems, it will be difficult to have two identical systems as you suggest.

Apart from the fact, that the analysis of OS activity using Sysinternals also requires some expertise and experience.

UPDATE: After days of clicking frantically away, I am now able to save the native .afphoto and .afdesign files without the "Save failed because access to the file was lost" error.

Steps done in Designer:

- Open a new document (I put some shapes into the document)

- Save as .aftemplate file (I saved to the Desktop and the file was created and written no problem)

- Closed the application

- reopened the .aftemplate file I created in Designer

- save as .afdesign

The error did not reoccur and the native .afdesign file was created and written. Now the error is not showing up on any new document that I create and save for both Designer and Photo.

I am no expert so I can not explain why this works or if it is a permanent solution but it worked for me. Hope this helps and I hope the devs can shed some more light on this.

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

I'm having this issue now.  Possibly caused by a windows update?

I create a new designer file but get the error when I try to save it.  A file is kinda created but it is actually corrupted (or not completely created) and cannot be opened.

I can open previously created files, change them and save them.  So I'm just copying old files, renaming them, opening them, deleting all layers and resizing as needed to get around this issue.

Windows 11, Affinity Designer. all latest editions.

15 hours ago, Oatmeal said:

I'm having this issue now.  Possibly caused by a windows update?

I create a new designer file but get the error when I try to save it.  A file is kinda created but it is actually corrupted (or not completely created) and cannot be opened.

I can open previously created files, change them and save them.  So I'm just copying old files, renaming them, opening them, deleting all layers and resizing as needed to get around this issue.

Windows 11, Affinity Designer. all latest editions.

Interesting work around. Did you try saving the new designer file as a .aftemplate file instead of the native .afdesign file and if so was the file successfully created?

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

12 hours ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

Interesting work around. Did you try saving the new designer file as a .aftemplate file instead of the native .afdesign file and if so was the file successfully created?

After it failed to save the regular way I did try:

-file

-save as

-named the file and put .aftemplate at the end, the drop down box only had .afdesign and .aftemplate as an option

then got the same error.

For giggles, tried to create a fresh file, did not add a single element to it, then did the save as method above in case the failed save doomed the process.

then got the same error.

Only solution is that works for me is to repurpose pre-existing files.